Almost half of US woman are primary breadwinners
Friday 16 October 2009
Women now make up nearly half of the US workforce, compared to the third they constituted 40 years ago, and the vast majority of Americans think this is a good thing, according to a Time magazine poll.
Some 40 percent of US women are the primary breadwinner for their family, according to the survey of 3,400 adults between August 31 and September 15.
The increase in female representation in the US workforce found strong support among both men and women, with 80 percent of women saying they thought it was positive and 76 percent of men saying the same.
In 1972, at the height of the "women's lib" movement, the student population on US university campuses was 60 percent male -- now it is the other way around. Meanwhile, the 10 percent rate of female enrollment in law and medical degrees has risen to close to 50 percent.
Despite that progress, most Americans -- 57 percent of men and 51 percent of women -- still believe it is better for a family if the father works and the mother stays at home to look after the children.
More than two in every three women -- 69 percent -- said they face male resentment if they have more power than men, though only 49 percent of men said that was the case.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...
£22000 - £38000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...