March 14 is International Pi(e) Day and traditionally celebrated by discussing the wonders of Pi and mathematical accomplishments while devouring savory and sweet pies.
The symbol for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter numerically expressed as or 3.14... is the Greek letter, ?. So in honor of Pi(e) Day, here is a selection of the world's best pies, beginning with a savory Greek pie, spanakopita.
The world of savory pies is complex and includes Jamaican patties, shepherd's pie, Irish steak and Guinness pies, American pot pies, Scotch pies, French-Canadian tourtières, Turkish lahmacuns, sfiha (Chaldean pizza), Australian pie floaters and Brazilian empanadas. Here are a few video recipes to try:
Spanakopita (Greek spinach and feta pie): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQITqEJ-TvQ
Lebanese Pomegranate Beef and Cheese Pies (Sfiha Lahm): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyFT_FUu1SQ
Irish Steak and Guinness Pie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL-OOJ39h2Q
British pork pie: hthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOE3Ae7oWcA
Nigella Lawson's Chicken Pot pie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUIZPzJigSg
Pizza is another savory pie option, here is a list of the world's most expensive pizzas from HauteLiving, a luxury living magazine and site, perhaps an inspiration for your own pizza pi(e) creation:
- Italian onion puree with white truffle pasta, buffalo mozzarella, fontina cheese, pancetta, porcini mushrooms, fresh herbs, and shaved with white truffle shavings at Maze, a Gordon Ramsey Restaurant in London for $250 (€182).
- A thin crust joy topped with six types of caviar and two lobster tails at Nino Bellisima in New York City for $1000 (€727).
- "Pizza Royale 007" is sprinkled with 24-carat gold dust, topped with champagne-soaked caviar and lobster that is marinated in 100-year-old cognac at Haggis, a Domenico Crolla Restaurant, in Glasgow $4200 (€3055)
- "Pizza for Lovers" comes with a diamond ring and a bottle of Dom Perignon at Favitta's Family Pizzeria near Rochester, New York for $8200 (€5965) price can change based on the price of diamonds.
- Dough that has rested for 72 hours is topped with the most expensive mozzarella di bufala, three types of caviar, lobster from Norway and Cilento, and hand-picked grains of pink Australian sea-salt from the Murray River made by three Italian chefs at your home from Luis XIII, a Renato Viola Creation, in Salerno, Italy for $12,000 (€8730).
Sweet pies are filled and topped with an array of fruit, creams, nuts and chocolate. Everyone has a favorite whether classic apple, wild berries, pecan, key lime, mincemeat, lemon meringue, cherry, chocolate and even pumpkin. Here are some video recipes to try:
Basic pie dough with Cat Cora, celebrity chef: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gFx7-d9wfg
Pumpkin pie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ve3UFzhH7s
Boston Cream Pie:
Meringue Lemon Pie by Masterchef Alain Llorca http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw15aqOvg38
Pecan Pie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppQxBpVEuzcReuse content