House Doctor: 'My prospective buyer is unhappy with my freehold. What should I do?'

Question: The buyer of our terraced home is kicking up a stink because of a "flying freehold". She's never heard of them and wants us to significantly drop our asking price or – as requested by her solicitor – pay for an insurance policy against it.

We can't believe what a red herring this is, and want her to see there's no problem. Can you recommend any action, or should we simply buy this flying freehold insurance to move ahead with the sale?

Jan Elsen, Middlesbrough

Answer: You may see a flying freehold as little more than an irritation but it's no red herring – ignore it and you could struggle to sell your home.

A so-called "flying freehold" is a room or space inside a freehold property that stretches into – or over part of – a neighbour's house.

It could be an upstairs bedroom that lies directly above part of next door's downstairs lounge or above a shared outdoor passage.

It is very common with terraced homes and some semi-detached properties, and legally, says Andy Montlake at broker Coreco, "it means you won't own the land, rather you'll own the piece of property that is directly over the land".

Usually, it causes no problem to anyone and represents nothing more than a tiny administrative burden at the Land Registry where it must appear clearly on your title deeds.

But, as you've discovered, it can throw a spanner in the works.

If a water leak caused damage to the property covered by the flying freehold, for example, neighbours can refute the proposed shared repair costs. Or, if a planned property extension is likely to impact on their share of the flying freehold, they could refuse access.

None of this is a problem, of course, if you maintain good neighbourly relations but here's the rub (and the root of your buyer's concern): lenders don't like flying freeholds.

If a bath leaked in an upstairs bathroom that extended over a neighbour's front room, responsibility for damage repairs – especially when there's no insurance – can get murky.

This risk can put mortgage companies off, but the insurance policy suggested by your buyer's lawyer is a way around it. Known as a flying indemnity policy, it protects you – or your buyer – if any disputes flare up.

It'll cost no more than a couple of hundred pounds, and will keep your buyer and their lender happy. Keeping your sale on track will be worth it.

Discover more property articles at Homes and Property
Property search
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs General

Recruitment Genius: 1st Line Customer Support Technician

£15000 - £19000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Waterlooville based softwa...

Ashdown Group: C# Developer - (C#, VB.Net, SQL, Git, TDD)

Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Developer (C#, VB & ASP.Net, SQL Server, TSQL) - Pe...

Recruitment Genius: Associate Sales Consultant

£16000 - £19000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Associate Sales Consultant i...

Recruitment Genius: Operations Manager

£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Well established and expanding ...

Day In a Page

War with Isis: Iraq's government fights to win back Tikrit from militants - but then what?

Baghdad fights to win back Tikrit from Isis – but then what?

Patrick Cockburn reports from Kirkuk on a conflict which sectarianism has made intractable
Living with Alzheimer's: What is it really like to be diagnosed with early-onset dementia?

What is it like to live with Alzheimer's?

Depicting early-onset Alzheimer's, the film 'Still Alice' had a profound effect on Joy Watson, who lives with the illness. She tells Kate Hilpern how she's coped with the diagnosis
The Internet of Things: Meet the British salesman who gave real-world items a virtual life

Setting in motion the Internet of Things

British salesman Kevin Ashton gave real-world items a virtual life
Election 2015: Latest polling reveals Tories and Labour on course to win the same number of seats - with the SNP holding the balance of power

Election 2015: A dead heat between Mr Bean and Dick Dastardly!

Lord Ashcroft reveals latest polling – and which character voters associate with each leader
Audiences queue up for 'true stories told live' as cult competition The Moth goes global

Cult competition The Moth goes global

The non-profit 'slam storytelling' competition was founded in 1997 by the novelist George Dawes Green and has seen Malcolm Gladwell, Salman Rushdie and Molly Ringwald all take their turn at the mic
Pakistani women come out fighting: A hard-hitting play focuses on female Muslim boxers

Pakistani women come out fighting

Hard-hitting new play 'No Guts, No Heart, No Glory' focuses on female Muslim boxers
Leonora Carrington transcended her stolid background to become an avant garde star

Surreal deal: Leonora Carrington

The artist transcended her stolid background to become an avant garde star
LGBT History Month: Pupils discuss topics from Sappho to same-sex marriage

Education: LGBT History Month

Pupils have been discussing topics from Sappho to same-sex marriage
11 best gel eyeliners

Go bold this season: 11 best gel eyeliners

Use an ink pot eyeliner to go bold on the eyes with this season's feline flicked winged liner
Cricket World Cup 2015: Tournament runs riot to make the event more hit than miss...

Cricket World Cup runs riot to make the event more hit than miss...

The tournament has reached its halfway mark and scores of 300 and amazing catches abound. One thing never changes, though – everyone loves beating England
Katarina Johnson-Thompson: Heptathlete ready to jump at first major title

Katarina Johnson-Thompson: Ready to jump at first major title

After her 2014 was ruined by injury, 21-year-old Briton is leading pentathlete going into this week’s European Indoors. Now she intends to turn form into gold
Syrian conflict is the world's first 'climate change war', say scientists, but it won't be the last one

Climate change key in Syrian conflict

And it will trigger more war in future
How I outwitted the Gestapo

How I outwitted the Gestapo

My life as a Jew in wartime Berlin
The nation's favourite animal revealed

The nation's favourite animal revealed

Women like cuddly creatures whilst men like creepy-crawlies
Is this the way to get young people to vote?

Getting young people to vote

From #VOTESELFISH to Bite the Ballot