London's Kensington tops property rich list
Thursday 21 June 2012
Kensington in west London has come top of a property rich list,
where an iPad-sized floor space costs more than £550, a study found
House prices in Kensington typically stand at £1.87 million, an increase of 5% or more than £90,000 on a year ago, according to property search website Zoopla.
Kensington is also home to Britain's most expensive street, Kensington Palace Gardens, where the average home is worth the princely sum of £22.17 million, the study found.
London, which has seen a relatively healthy property market despite the recession with overseas buyers regarding it as a "safe haven" amid the eurozone crisis, dominated the most expensive neighbourhoods list. Knightsbridge, Chelsea, Notting Hill and West Brompton all made the top five.
Researchers found property values in the most well-heeled areas of London are almost 10 times higher than in other parts of the country.
They calculated that an iPad-sized area of floor space measuring 69.45 square inches in Kensington would cost over £550, while the same space in Middlesbrough is worth around £60.
Nicholas Leeming, business development director at Zoopla.co.uk, said: "While the majority of the country's homeowners reflect on a year of stagnant and falling average house prices, those at the top of the market have had a good run over the past year.
"International demand for prime properties in the nation's premium postcodes has boosted prices in London and the South East and further widened the gap between the haves and have nots."
Britain is home to an estimated 245,790 property millionaires, a 12% increase on a year ago, the study found. There are 6,682 streets in Britain where the average home is worth more than £1 million.
More than a third (35%) of these "million pound streets" are in London, with a heavy concentration of them also found in the surrounding areas of Guildford, Leatherhead, Beaconsfield and Cobham.
Virginia Water in Surrey, home of Wentworth Golf Club, was named as the most expensive area outside London and Britain's most valuable town. Average prices there stand at just over £968,000, although this is a fall of 2.94% on a year ago.
Graig Road in the Cardiff suburb of Lisvane is Wales's priciest street, with houses there worth nearly £900,000 typically.
North Charlotte Street in Edinburgh is Scotland's most valuable area, where a home comes with a price tag of around £1.79 million.
The study used information from the Zoopla website, which lists property for sale as well as actual selling prices.
Britain's most expensive postcode areas, with their average house price
1. W8, Kensington, £1,873,866.
2. SW7, Knightsbridge, £1,430,863.
3. SW3, Chelsea, £1,425,385.
4. W11, Notting Hill, £1,302,763.
5. SW10, West Brompton, £1,140,593.
6. NW3, Hampstead, £1,022,748.
7. SW1, Westminster, £1,010,228.
8. W1, West End, £987,191.
9. GU25, Virginia Water,£968,009.
10. SW13, Barnes, £958,871.
Britain's most valuable towns, with their average house price
1. Virginia Water, Surrey, £968,009.
2. Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, £796,064.
3. Cobham, Surrey, £744,659.
4. Keston, London, £743,768.
5. Esher, Surrey, £704,200.
6. Chalfont St Giles, Buckinghamshire, £698,003.
7. Richmond, Surrey, £668,728.
8. Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, £648,134.
9. Radlett, Hertfordshire, £642,130.
10. Weybridge, Surrey,£608,351.
Britain's most valuable streets, with their postcode and average house price
1. Kensington Palace Gardens, London, W8, £22,167,649.
2. The Boltons, London, SW10, £18,591,793.
3. Frognal Way, London, NW3, £10,989,886.
4. Courtenay Avenue, London, N6, £8,625,444.
5. Compton Avenue, London, N6, £8,456,607.
6. Park Place Villas, London, W2, £7,912,172.
7. Palace Green, London, W8, £7,228,788.
8. Montrose Place, London, SW1X, £7,168,084.
9. Manresa Road, London, SW3, £7,076,769.
10. Ilchester Place, London, W14, £6,750,971.
Here are the most valuable streets in Scotland, with their postcode and average house price:
1. North Charlotte Street, Edinburgh, EH2, £1,791,179.
2. Caledonian Crescent, Auchterarder, PH3, £1,591,927.
3. Whitehouse Terrace, Edinburgh, EH9, £1,520,685.
4. Balmoral Court, Auchterarder, PH3, £1,503,312.
5. Easter Belmont Road, Edinburgh, EH12, £1,413,752.
6. Wester Coates Avenue, Edinburgh, EH12, £1,377,871.
7. Succoth Place, Edinburgh, EH12, £1,237,380.
8. West Bowling Green Street, Edinburgh, EH6, £1,227,196.
9. Houston Road, Kilmacolm, PA13, £1,177,429.
10. Mackintosh Place, Irvine, KA11, £1,168,049.
And here are the most valuable streets in Wales:
1. Graig Road, Cardiff, CF14, £889,798.
2. Llys Helyg Drive, Llandudno, LL30, £859,783.
3. Twyncyn, Dinas Powys, CF64, £774,151.
4. Marine Drive, Llandudno, LL30, £772,194.
5. The Mount, Cardiff, CF14, £753,691.
6. Llanerchydol, Welshpool, SY21, £728,984.
7. Pendoylan, Cowbridge, CF71, £726,919.
8. Benar Headland, Pwllheli, LL53, £722,824.
9. St Andrews Major, Dinas Powys, CF64, £719,003.
10. Pen-Y-Turnpike Road, Dinas Powys, CF64, £718,565.
Life & Style blogs
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
£35000 - £50000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior QA Engineer (Agil...
£26000 - £28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Digital Marketing Executive (SEO, PP...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our retail client ...
£400 - £450 Per Annum possibly more for the right candidate: Clearwater People...