Home sweet smelling home
and tricks for creating room fragrance, according to candle expert Kat Silva Lozanza.
Friday 04 November 2011
Interiors aren’t just about aesthetics; they’re also about smell. ‘The demand for home scents has really grown over the last few years, as customers increasingly seek to create an ambient living space that smells as good as it looks,’ says Kat Silva Lozana, Peter Jones Partner and candle expert. Such is the growing market for room fragrance that, as part of a major £7million transformation, Peter Jones opened a new candle shop in October. It has its own special entrance on Symons Street and is filled with apothecary-style bell jars, lanterns, candles, diffusers and scents. Discover ten tricks on scenting your home from industry expert Kat Silva Lozana.
- Place scented reed diffusers in
the hallway or entrance to your home; a delicate decorative flourish, they will
immediately set the tone and ambience as you step through the front door,
welcoming you and your guests with an inviting atmospheric fragrance.
- For calming ambience in the
living room, arrange scented candles at different heights around the room – on
shelves, in alcoves or on a central coffee table. Their warming glow and
soothing scents will permeate the air around you.
- For a unique take on scenting
your home, combine up to three scents together; choose fragrances that complement
one another, for example earthy notes of musk, shades of wood mixed with
- Keep bathroom scents fresh with
light fragrance sprays in citrus hues sprayed regularly throughout the day.
- For an unusual approach to
scenting your home, Herve Gambs’ range of colourful fabric flowers – from
miniature potted orchids to towering lilies – will hold the scent of a room fragrance
spray for several days. They are a contemporary take on pot pourri that is both
decorative and versatile and will suit any room.
- When dining outside, place
scented candles in storm lanterns, where their fragrance will not be lost to
the elements and instead will emit a more subtle aroma.
- Place reed diffusers in the
kitchen to lift heavy cooking smells. With no bare flame, you also won’t need
to worry about keeping an eye on them when you leave the room after eating
- Explore the variety of fragrances
available to find what’s right for you. To aid relaxation, light a lavender
scented candle or for continued calm, a jasmine infused room spray or reed
- If you have a fireplace, fill it
with pillar candles. All lit at the same time, the glow will create a focal
point to which the eye is drawn. At Christmas, scatter berries, fur cones and
holly in between the candles for a festive display.
- Create atmosphere by using monochrome candles and low lighting on a side table in your living room or dining area. Varying heights and shapes are essential to ensuring this look doesn't appear too formal.
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 1 Three-year-old ultra-Orthodox Jewish children told 'the non-Jews' are 'evil' in worksheet produced by London school
- 2 Moscow voted the world's unfriendliest city
- 3 The excuses your boss is most likely to believe when you call in sick
- 4 I'm pansexual – here are the five biggest misconceptions about my sexuality
- 5 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
£40000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT support company has a n...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A works engineer is required in a progressive ...
£21000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our client is seeking someone w...