1. Storage bench: If you've got space, a storage bench is a great place to stash shoes and to sit while putting them on.
Alve bench (with pad), £49.90, Ikea, 0845 358 3363, www.ikea.co.uk
2. Coat hook: Funky hooks stop coats piling up on the bench. These are made from powder-coated steel and come in five colours.
Flying duck coat hook, by Jethro Macey, £20 each, www.hiddenartshop.com
3. A lick of paint: Bargain hunters will be pleased to learn that B&Q has recently launched its own groovy brand of paint. Painting just one wall will give your kitchen an instant lift.
Colours Collection ultra-matt paint in olive grey, £14.98 for 2.5 litres, B&Q, 0845 850 0175, www.diy.com
4. Statement clock: Make a feature of your kitchen wall with an over-sized clock. Try the fast-becoming-a-classic, 50cm-wide Flap clock (with auto calendar).
Flap clock, £89, Habitat, 0870 411 5501, www.habitat.co.uk
5. Digital radio: A retro-style radio will look good and sound better.
Bush TR82 DAB digital radio, £59.95, John Lewis, 08456 049 049, www.johnlewis.com
6. Chairs These curvy, stackable chairs are reminiscent of Arne Jacobsen, but have a very different price tag.
Marilyn chair, £25, John Lewis, 08456 049 049, www.johnlewis.com
7. Extra seats for outside These space- (and cost-) saving stacking stools can be used outside in warmer spring weather and double as side tables for drinks.
Benjamin stool, £12.99 each, Ikea, 0845 358 3363, www.ikea.co.uk
8. Bedlinen: If a new bed seems extreme, the least you can do is invest in some crisp new bedlinen. You'll find top-end Egyptian cotton sets at Matalan. And while you're there, you can grab some white jacquard border towels.
Satin stripe bedlinen set (double duvet cover and two pillowcases), £20. Hand towel, £3, bath sheet, £8, Matalan, 08453 303 330, www.matalan.co.uk
9. Bedside table: A slim and elegant beside table will fit easily into any bedroom.
Mirrored, round-top occasional table, £49 each, Habitat, 0870 411 5501, www.habitat.co.uk
10. Wallpaper: a wall Completely alter the feel of your bedroom by papering a wall.
Green textured wallpaper, £15 (10m roll), Next Home, 0844 844 8333, www.next.co.uk
11. Bedside lamp: Once you've experienced a bedside lamp with touch-sensitive dimmer, there's no going back.
Bud lamp, £35 each, Habitat, 0870 411 5501, www.habitat.co.uk
12. Cushions: The fastest way to shake up your living-room is to add bold cushions.
Circus-print cushion, £10 each. Kayli flock, £16 each, Debenhams, 08445 616161, www.debenhams.com
13. Photo frames: Display photos in a mix of styles and sizes.
Frames, from £1, Matalan, 08453 303 330, www.matalan.co.uk
14. Book case: If books and magazines are piling up on the floor, take control with this room divider.
Wheel room divider, £129, Ilva. 0845 245 8285, www.ilva.co.uk
15. Table lamp: Three-legged lamps are everywhere this spring so if you're after a fast fashion fix then this is the box-ticking item.
Tripod 1950s-style lamp, £99, Graham and Green, 08451 306 622, www.grahamandgreen.co.uk
16. Desk lamp: A new version of a retro classic will add serious chic to your office space.
Anglepoise-style lamp, £70, Heal's, 020 7636 1666, www.heals.co.uk
17. Desk: If you can't stretch to a mahogany number, get something cheaper and more versatile.
Trestle table, £49, top, £199, Ikea, 0845 358 3363, www.ikea.co.ukReuse content