Can I update my home on a credit-crunch budget of £1,200?
Sunday 30 March 2008
1. Storage bench: If you've got space, a storage bench is a great place to stash shoes and to sit while putting them on.
Alve bench (with pad), £49.90, Ikea, 0845 358 3363, www.ikea.co.uk
2. Coat hook: Funky hooks stop coats piling up on the bench. These are made from powder-coated steel and come in five colours.
Flying duck coat hook, by Jethro Macey, £20 each, www.hiddenartshop.com
3. A lick of paint: Bargain hunters will be pleased to learn that B&Q has recently launched its own groovy brand of paint. Painting just one wall will give your kitchen an instant lift.
Colours Collection ultra-matt paint in olive grey, £14.98 for 2.5 litres, B&Q, 0845 850 0175, www.diy.com
4. Statement clock: Make a feature of your kitchen wall with an over-sized clock. Try the fast-becoming-a-classic, 50cm-wide Flap clock (with auto calendar).
Flap clock, £89, Habitat, 0870 411 5501, www.habitat.co.uk
5. Digital radio: A retro-style radio will look good and sound better.
Bush TR82 DAB digital radio, £59.95, John Lewis, 08456 049 049, www.johnlewis.com
6. Chairs These curvy, stackable chairs are reminiscent of Arne Jacobsen, but have a very different price tag.
Marilyn chair, £25, John Lewis, 08456 049 049, www.johnlewis.com
7. Extra seats for outside These space- (and cost-) saving stacking stools can be used outside in warmer spring weather and double as side tables for drinks.
Benjamin stool, £12.99 each, Ikea, 0845 358 3363, www.ikea.co.uk
8. Bedlinen: If a new bed seems extreme, the least you can do is invest in some crisp new bedlinen. You'll find top-end Egyptian cotton sets at Matalan. And while you're there, you can grab some white jacquard border towels.
Satin stripe bedlinen set (double duvet cover and two pillowcases), £20. Hand towel, £3, bath sheet, £8, Matalan, 08453 303 330, www.matalan.co.uk
9. Bedside table: A slim and elegant beside table will fit easily into any bedroom.
Mirrored, round-top occasional table, £49 each, Habitat, 0870 411 5501, www.habitat.co.uk
10. Wallpaper: a wall Completely alter the feel of your bedroom by papering a wall.
Green textured wallpaper, £15 (10m roll), Next Home, 0844 844 8333, www.next.co.uk
11. Bedside lamp: Once you've experienced a bedside lamp with touch-sensitive dimmer, there's no going back.
Bud lamp, £35 each, Habitat, 0870 411 5501, www.habitat.co.uk
12. Cushions: The fastest way to shake up your living-room is to add bold cushions.
Circus-print cushion, £10 each. Kayli flock, £16 each, Debenhams, 08445 616161, www.debenhams.com
13. Photo frames: Display photos in a mix of styles and sizes.
Frames, from £1, Matalan, 08453 303 330, www.matalan.co.uk
14. Book case: If books and magazines are piling up on the floor, take control with this room divider.
Wheel room divider, £129, Ilva. 0845 245 8285, www.ilva.co.uk
15. Table lamp: Three-legged lamps are everywhere this spring so if you're after a fast fashion fix then this is the box-ticking item.
Tripod 1950s-style lamp, £99, Graham and Green, 08451 306 622, www.grahamandgreen.co.uk
16. Desk lamp: A new version of a retro classic will add serious chic to your office space.
Anglepoise-style lamp, £70, Heal's, 020 7636 1666, www.heals.co.uk
17. Desk: If you can't stretch to a mahogany number, get something cheaper and more versatile.
Trestle table, £49, top, £199, Ikea, 0845 358 3363, www.ikea.co.uk
Life & Style blogs
Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Opponents of Israel's military operation in Gaza are the real enemies of Middle Eastern peace
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
- 1 Secret Cinema interview: Why were Back to the Future screenings cancelled?
- 2 Christians: The world's most persecuted people
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 Iraq crisis: End 'very near' for Christianity after Isis takeover, says Bishop
£30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A highly reputable software house is looking ...
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: An established professional services...
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: CITY - SENIOR COMMERCIAL LITIGATION SO...
£35000 - £40000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client is...