Welcome to The Independent's new website
Wednesday 23 January 2008
The Independent's website has always brought you the first-class content of our print edition, now we're delighted to have a new site that will not only match the best in terms of reliability, but also enable us to bring even more online. Here are some of the highlights of the changes so far:
New look: Now it's even easier to find whatever you're looking for. Whether it's the latest news , the low-down on a restaurant or one of our indispensable city guides - every area of the site is clearly linked and easily accessible.
More from your favourite writers: Keep an open eye on Open House - our online debating chamber where our diverse stable of columnists and commentators come together to discuss the issues of the day - and invite you to join in. Also exclusive to the website are columns from our experts on everything from food and politics to sex and sport - with the latest posting linked from the homepage and across the site throughout the day.
New vision: As well as launching our Sound & Vision section with new films by cookery writer Mark Hix and Simon Calder's travel guides , we're extending our use of images across the site, with an expanding range of galleries and graphics.
IndyBest: The Independent's ever-popular weekly 50 Best features and the daily 10 Best series have been brought together under a new IndyBest micro-site - rich with images and information to delight and inspire you.
Over to you: We want to know your thoughts and ideas about the subjects we cover and we'll be opening key talking point articles daily for your comments, contributions and feedback.
New homes: We've created areas on the site to bring together the top-notch articles and features from the Saturday and Sunday magazines, as well as the Extra supplement. While In the News keeps you up-to-date on key topics ranging from the White House race to the Northern Rock saga and our Packaging campaign.
Improved search: Unlike other sites, our search index is updated throughout the day - soon capturing even the newest articles for inclusion in deep searches.
* Crosswords - the online Concise and Cryptic puzzles are now online.
* RSS feeds - link to sections across the site; just look out for the logos.
* Weather - check out the latest weather for wherever you are.
* Offers - our updated microsite helps you to catch up on the best deals.
* Property - find a new home with our mapped house sales site.
* Music - listen to and buy music in the download store .
What do you think? Click HERE to send us your thoughts on what we have done - and still have to do. This is just the beginning of what we have planned, and we need your views. (For technical queries, please specify your operating system and browser version.)
Newcastle winger is in Argentina having chemotherapy
Actors star in Woody Allen's 'Magic in the Moonlight'
Human faces unique 'because we don't recognise each other by smell'
Man's attempt to avoid being impounded heavily criticised
Returning to the stage after 20 years makes actress feel 'nauseous'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
- 1 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 4 Grandmas keep accidentally tagging themselves as Grandmaster Flash on Facebook
- 5 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute