Agassi pays the price
Saturday 17 August 1996
In addition to the fine, Agassi will not receive any prize-money, which would have amounted to $6,040, nor any ATP Tour points for the event, which will remain a part of his ranking for the next 52 weeks. His no- point showing cannot be erased for the next year from the best-of-14 system in place on the tour.
The Olympic champion was defaulted in a second-round match against the Canadian Daniel Nestor for swearing at the umpire, Dana Laconto. The decision was taken by the ATP Tour supervisor, Mark Darby, though Agassi, the No 3 seed and world No 6, claimed he should not have been immediately disqualified but given a penalty point first.
Despite his disqualification Agassi will return to play in the event next year.
Latest in Sport
The Prince of Wales Stakes today is regarded by many as the No1 race of the Royal Ascot meeting and ...
by Gareth Purnell
19 June 2013 02:01 AM
Today’s St James Palace looks a cracker and there has been sustained money for Dawn Approach since t...
by Gareth Purnell
18 June 2013 02:01 AM
Newcastle don’t need a football director – they need a new medical team after finishing bottom of the injury league
Newcastle United have shocked their fans by appointing Joe Kinnear as director of football but new f...
by Alex Miller
17 June 2013 04:39 PM
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...