ATHLETICS : Marathon orders chips with everyone
Thursday 23 February 1995
The organisers plan to attach computer chips to runners' shoes to stop a repeat of last year's cheating when competitors rode the Metro and took short cuts to improve their times.
All runners will have a special micro-chip tied to their shoelaces to enable organisers to check they stick to the route, the marathon organiser, Wolfgang Konrad, told the Austrian daily Neue Kronen Zeitung yesterday.
Konrad said that last year some runners took short cuts in Prater Park, while an Italian who clocked the same time as the winner of the women's event rode part of the way on the underground.
The chip will not only enable spot checks along the route, but will also allow precise measurement of runners' start and finish times, Konrad said.
Many runners in the mass start lose as much as three minutes before actually reaching the starting line, he said.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
£40000 - £48000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# Devel...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# Swift...
£55000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Front-End Deve...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Graduate C# De...