Athletics: Sotomayor's world record
Wednesday 28 July 1993
The 25-year-old Cuban, who cleared 2.38 with his first jump, has held the world record since September 1988 when he took it from Patrik Sjoberg, of Sweden.
Sotomayor has made himself clear favourite to win his first world title in Stuttgart next month. In 1991, he had to be content with second place after pulling out injured in mid-contest.
'I have been dreaming of 2.45 metres,' he said. 'If I win at the World Championships, it will have been a great year. It has already been a good year for me. . I knew the record could fall here.'
He was stopped from going to the Seoul Olympics in 1988, a few days after setting his first world record, because of a Cuban boycott.
Another world record holder, the American Mike Powell, won the long jump with the second-best leap of his career: 8.70 metres.
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014 draw: Daunting draw but England have nothing to lose against Uruguay, Italy and Costa Rica
World Cup 2014 draw: Greg Dyke makes 'cut throat' gesture after England are drawn in 'Group of Death'
Ashes 2013-14: Mitchell Johnson is proving England are spent force
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
Arsenal vs Everton: Let loan players take on their parent clubs, says Arsène Wenger
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# ASP.NET Developer (...
£60000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior C# WPF .NET Dev...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: QA Manual Tester FX Trading Platform/Derivative...