Baggio's future still in doubt

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Football

Roberto Baggio still did not know yesterday where he would be playing his football next season. The Italy and Juventus midfielder has been linked with various clubs, including one or two in England, since he refused the Turin club's offer of a new contract on reduced terms.

"I've had a lot of talks but there is nothing definite," he said. "I'm going to the USA on Thursday and then on holiday to Argentina," Baggio said.

"If I don't get a deal by the middle of the week then we'll talk about it when I get back just before the end of the month."

Baggio's contract with Juventus expires at the end of June. He has reportedly rejected a new one amounting to $1.25m (pounds 785,000) a year - a third less than he now earns.

Baggio, who says he wants to stay in Italy, is on the market for 21 billion lire (pounds 8.2m) but interest has been lukewarm.

Milan have said the price is too high and have decided to try to sign the powerful Lazio striker, Pierluigi Casiraghi, to play alongside George Weah, their new Liberian signing from Paris St-Germain, next season.

Internazionale, seeking a revival under their new president, Massimo Moratti, had seemed favourites to sign Baggio but their interest has cooled. Baggio is unhappy that Juventus opened negotiations with Inter without contacting him first.

The Ajax strikers Peter van Vossen and John van den Brom have both travelled to Turkey to discuss a possible transfer to newly-promoted Istanbulspor, managed as of last month by the experienced Dutch coach, Leo Beenhakker.

Comments