Brisk day at Sale

Rugby Union: Round-up
Click to follow
The Independent Online
PAUL TURNER struck an audacious blow for rugby's thirty-somethings with two left-footed drop goals as Sale trounced near neighbours Orrell 39-13 to consolidate their mid-table position in League One of the Courage Championship yesterday. The veteran Welsh fly-half landed both kicks from around 35 yards as the home side piled up 20 points inside the first 18 minutes.

Sale snatched the lead when the No.8 Charlie Vyvyan crashed over for the first of their five tries which was converted by Rob Liley. After Turner's two strikes and a penalty for Orrell by Simon Mason, Graham Higginbotham ran in Sale's second try, also converted by Liley. Chris Yates rounded off try No.3 before half-time, but after the interval Orrell came more into the game.

Sale's tries after the break, both converted by Liley, came from the lock Dave Baldwin, who was also yellow carded along with Orrell's Alex Bennett, and stand-in scrum-half Mark Warr. But the visitors claimed two consolation tries through Dan Luger, a Manchester Unitersity student making his league debut, and Ian Wynn.

Northampton continued their procession through League Two with a 35-5 home victory over Nottingham. Paul Grayson converted all five of the Saints' tries, one of which came from his England half-back partner Matt Dawson. London Scottish stayed second by beating Moseley 17-8 and a try hat-trick from Rob Henderson helped third-placed London Irish to a 39-16 victory over Waterloo.

The former Wales lock Glyn Llewellyn powered over for two tries as Neath rose to second in the Heineken League with a 20-3 success at Newbridge.

Swansea won 12-6 at Aberavon to stay fourth after falling behind to two Nick Stalk penalties. Aled Williams supplied four second-half penalties to secure Swansea's first away win in seven matches.

The back-row forward Andrew Williams helped himself to three tries as Bridgend crushed Abertillery 37-15, but the Gwent side's two tries lifted them off the bottom at Aberavon's expense.

Treorchy, the third team stuck on seven points at the foot of the table, conceded 32 second-half points to lose 40-6 at Ebbw Vale.