Wednesday 31 December 1997
Adams countered it with 1.Ne3, but after Anand's 1...Qd2, he seemed to have fallen into a trap. Either 2.Qxc4 or 2.Nxc4 loses to 2...Qxf2+, while 2.Qc2 simply loses a pawn to Qxc2 and Nxb2.
In fact, it was Anand who had fallen into the trap. His 1...Qd2 was met by 2.Nf5!! solving all White's problems at a stroke. After 2...exf5 3.Qxc4+ Kh8 4.exf5 Rxf5 5.Bg3 Qd6 6.Rxe5 Rxe5 7.Bxe5 the players agreed a draw.
Adams missed his chance when he overlooked 2.Nf5. Instead of 1...Qd2, he should have played 1...Bd4! when 2.cxd4 loses the queen, 2.Nxc4 loses to Bxf2+, and 2.Qxd4 Qxd4 3.Nxd4 Bxf2+ is no better. White's only chance is 2.Ng4, but after 2...Bxf2+ 3.Nxf2 Qg3 4.Re2 Ne3 5.Qxe6+ Kg7 6.Qe7+ Rf7 7.Nh1 Qf4 Black is winning. A narrow escape for Adams.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
Latest in Sport
Sam Wallace: David Moyes is paying the price of United’s virtual abstinence from top-level transfers since 2006. Can he refire their ambition?
Arsenal 1 Everton 1 match report: Gerard Deulofeu provides late sucker punch after Mesut Ozil's opener
I will not be forced into panic buys at Manchester United, says David Moyes
Gerard Deulofeu - Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 An obsessive’s documenting of Israeli war crimes in Lebanon can show us how the West lost respect for international law
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
£25000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitment Company...
£80000 - £100000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior C++ De...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...