Clubs fear spread of 'double standards'

Click to follow

Boroughmuir 18 Hawick 19

Peter Wright, the Boroughmuir captain, will learn tomorrow whether, when he opened his mouth to lambast the referee Ken McCartney and get sent off, he also blew a pounds 2,000 international match fee, which is still to be formally announced.

A vacancy has been left in the Scotland team to face Western Samoa pending a hearing which is attracting the attention of junior clubs aggrieved at what they claim are double standards on the part of Scottish Rugby Union disciplinary panels.

Penicuik have written to the SRU questioning why one of their colts was banned for nearly a year when a First Division player received six weeks for what seemed a similar head butting offence. St Boswell's, who had a player sent off for dissent on the same day as Wright, are watching closely, and Earlston have complained to the National League Association that one of their players had to wait six weeks for his case to be heard and was suspended for a month.

Some Boroughmuir supporters believe justice has been served and the club has paid the price for their captain's misbehaviour with a surprisingly flat display against Hawick, who have won five of their last six games. Instead of going into their last three League games three points clear, Boroughmuir are a point ahead of Melrose and Stirling County.

If Wright had been leading the side, there might have been less inclination to entrust possession to a back division lacking penetration in the face of inspirational tackling.

His team-mate Sean Lineen acknowledged: "Ironically, Peter was missed mainly because of his voice. He keeps us on our toes."

Boroughmuir: Tries Stark, Wallace; Conversion Easson; Penalties Easson 2. Hawick: Tries Sharp, Suddon; Penalties Welsh 3.

Boroughmuir: N Mardon; D Stark, D Laird (capt), S Lineen, I Tukalo (D Macrae, 18); B Easson, G Beveridge; G Wilson, N Dickson, L Graham, D Burns, D George, F Wallace, S Reid, G Dickson.

Hawick: C Turnbull; G Sharp, D Grant, W Coltman, K Suddon; S Welsh (P Stanger, 69), K Reid; M Russell, J Hay, B McDonnell, A Barnes, I Elliot, D Turnbull, B Renwick (capt), G Allott.

Referee: R Megson (Edinburgh Wanderers).