Commonwealth Games 2014: Ben Proud lands butterfly gold
Proud burst onto the international scene last year when he blew Mark Foster's 10-year-old British 50m butterfly record out of the water
Ben Proud ended England's wait for their first gold medal in the Glasgow 2014 pool when he triumphed in the 50m butterfly final.
The Londoner was up against former Olympic and world champion Roland Schoeman but a new Commonwealth Games record time of 22.93 earned him victory.
Another South African, Chad Le Cross, had to settle for bronze as the second night of swimming action got underway at the Tollcross Swimming Centre.
Proud burst onto the international scene last year when he blew Mark Foster's 10-year-old British 50m butterfly record out of the water.
But his Commonwealth victory was the biggest win of the 19-year-old's fledgling career as romped home in the sprint event by eight hundredths of a second.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy
£23000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Analyst is required ...
£16000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To succeed, you will need to ha...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join an award winni...
£7 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Are you outgoing? Do you want to work in...