Commonwealth Games 2014: Mo Farah withdraws from Glasgow 2014 after failing to overcome recent illness

Farah was due to compete in the 5,000m and 10,000m
  • @JackdeMenezes

Mo Farah has withdrawn from the 2014 Commonwealth Games after struggling to recover from a recent illness, Team England have confirmed.

The news was announced early on Thursday morning, hours after the Opening Ceremony in Glasgow received widespread praise for beginning the Games north of the border.

Team England confirmed that Farah would not be competing in the 5,000m and 10,000m as planned after being recently admitted to hospital with abdominal pains.

It read: "After recent illness Mo Farah will remain at his training base to return to full fitness in time for the Euro Championships."


"I have taken the tough decision to withdraw from the Commonwealth Games. The sickness I had two weeks ago was a big setback for me," said Farah, who has not enjoyed his preparation for the tournament due to a lack of track time after pulling out of his last two races at the Sainsbury's Glasgow Grand Prix at Hampden Park and last Sunday's Anniversary Games.

He added: "Training is getting better here in Font Romeu but I need another few weeks to get back to the level I was at in 2012 & 2013.

"I really wanted to add the Commonwealth titles to my Olympic and World Championships but the event is coming a few weeks too soon for me as my body is telling me it's not ready to race yet. Best wishes to my fellow athletes in Glasgow."

While Farah has made good progress in his recovery, the decision has been made to pull out of the Commonwealth Games in order to focus on his attempt to defend his 5,000, European Championship crown in Zurich next month.

Team England chef de mission Jan Paterson said: "It is a real blow for any athlete to miss out on a major championships through injury, but to have fought so hard to regain full fitness and to have to take such a difficult decision at this stage is particularly hard. We wish Mo all the very best and hope to see him back to his peak very soon."

The news is the latest blow to the Games that has seen a number of high-profile withdrawals and absentees. The poster girl of the 2012 London Olympic Games Jessica Ennis-Hill will not be competing after giving birth to her first child earlier this week, while the woman tipped to succeed her at the top of the sport Katarina Johnson-Thompson was forced out with a left-foot injury.

Usain Bolt, the fastest man in the world, is due to compete in the 4x100m men's relay for Jamaica, but he was a notable absentee at the Opening Ceremony last night at Celtic Park.