CRICKET; Byas' battle proves in vain

Click to follow
YORKSHIRE CAPTAIN David Byas was a lone figure of resistance as he dug in against a Middlesex seam attack exploiting helpful conditions in the County Championship match at Headingley yesterday.

Having weathered the pace bowlers, Byas was finally undone on 62 when attempting to heave spinner Phil Tufnell to the boundary, Paul Weekes taking the catch as Yorkshire tumbled to 160 all out at tea. The seamer Richard Johnson was the pick of the Middlesex attack with four wickets, including trapping Greg Blewett lbw for two.

Nottinghamshire were another side to be put to the sword by a pace attack as Somerset - spearheaded by Matthew Bulbeck's five wickets - dismissed the home side for 251 at Trent Bridge. Alex Wharf put up some resistance with a 42 before becoming Bulbeck's fifth victim. Paul Jarvis took three wickets and Andy Caddick the remaining two.

Paul Prichard hit an unbeaten 79 to put Essex in a strong position against Surrey at The Oval. Alex Tudor claimed the first scalp for Surrey - Darren Robinson caught by Jason Ratcliffe for one - as Essex moved on to 144 for two.

Adrian Dale, with an unbeaten 58, and Keith Newell (38) rescued Glamorgan from a perilous early position as the Welsh county reached 132 for 3 against Gloucestershire at Cardiff. Glamorgan had started badly, losing Alun Evans for four and Ismail Dawood, caught behind off Ben Gannon, for 12. Newell was lbw to Gannon before rain stopped play.

Rain also took its toll at Edgbaston, but not before Derbyshire's Phil DeFreitas took three Warwickshire wickets. Anurag Singh (53no) saw Warwickshire to 184 for four.

Glen Chapple struck early for Lancashire when play finally got underway at Old Trafford, John Crawley taking the catch to dismiss Northamptonshire's opener Matthew Hayden for five. Mal Loye (14) and Rob Bailey (21) took the score along to 42 without further loss.

Hampshire's John Stephenson was also an early victim, departing for four after being caught off Worcestershire paceman Alamgir Sheriyar. Hampshire moved on to 22 for 1 before the rain came.

There was no play between Durham and Kent at Stockton.