Cricket: Lloyd denies England dispute

Click to follow
The Independent Online
DAVID LLOYD yesterday said he had no regrets about leaving his role as the England coach - and denied he had been forced to resign after a dispute with the management.

Lloyd's announcement this week that he would end his three-year tenure after this summer's World Cup had prompted speculation that there had been a confrontation with England officials. But the 52-year-old Lancastrian said at a press conference at Old Trafford that he was merely seeking security as he reaches the later years of his working life - a situation which has been quickly resolved by him signing a three-year contract to commentate for Sky Sports.

"I'd have been 52 when my contract ran out at the end of September and I wanted some assurances about my future," Lloyd said. I was looking for some security and to map my life out. It was felt the England and Wales Cricket Board needed more time but that would have left me with just six or seven weeks of being out of work."

Lloyd, known throughout the game as "Bumble", also revealed there had been no deterioration in relations with the ECB chairman, Lord MacLaurin. "At my last chat with the chairman on Monday the two of us just went to his office and the discussion was totally amicable," stressed Lloyd. "I have the utmost respect for him. I am confident and easy with him."

England are likely to face competition from Warwickshire if they want Bob Woolmer to replace Lloyd as coach. The club have confirmed their interest in re-appointing Woolmer, who left Edgbaston to become South Africa's coach after guiding the county to a historic treble in 1994.

n Andy Caddick, the England pace bowler, has agreed to extend his contract with Somerset until 2003.

Comments