Ajantha Mendis sets Twenty20 record with 6 for 8 in win for hosts Sri Lanka
Wednesday 19 September 2012
Sri Lanka spinner Ajantha Mendis demolished Zimbabwe with the best ever international Twenty20 bowling figures of 6 for 8 as the hosts cruised to an 82-run victory in the opening ICC World Twenty20 match here yesterday.
The Lions overcame a minor wobble in the middle of their innings to set an imposing target of 183 which Zimbabwe never looked likely to reach.
Mendis was the key weapon in the Sri Lankan attack, claiming six wickets as Zimbabwe crumbled under the floodlights and could only reach a total of 100 in the Group C match.
Sri Lanka started strongly in their innings before they were reduced to 54 for 1 when Dilshan Munaweera was run out for 17 but Kumar Sangakkara (44) and Jeevan Mendis (43) steered the side's total to an impressive 182 for 4.
In reply, Zimbabwe were quickly reduced to 43 for 3 with captain Brendan Taylor dismissed for a first-ball duck. Hamilton Masakadza top-scored with 20
Jennifer Lawrence attacks mass media again over body image
scienceScientists find the answer to a question that even puzzled Darwin
A very timely Great Train Robbery and a frantic 24 Hours in A&E among the highlights
arts + entsThe 'Friends' actor on his new role as campaigner on addiction issues
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber announces he's 'retiring from music'
- 4 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile
- 5 Status: Wet - Woman walks off a pier while checking Facebook on her phone