Akram Khan resigns from Bangladesh post
Wednesday 07 March 2012
Bangladesh chief selector Akram Khan has resigned after alleging the country's board had interfered in team selection.
Khan tendered his resignation today before telling reporters that the recently-named Asia Cup squad had been altered without his knowledge.
"I was not able to work independently. This is why I took the decision," he said.
Khan, who had been a selector since 2007, claimed that the three-man panel had picked Tamim Iqbal for the Asia Cup only for the hard-hitting opener to then be excluded from Monday's list.
He said former skipper Mashrafe Mortaza was also called from outside the original squad after the veteran led the Dhaka Gladiators to the inaugural Bangladesh Premier League Twenty20 title.
Bangladesh will host the biennial four-nation Asia Cup from March 11-22 with India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka also competing.
Tony Bellew vs Nathan Cleverly 2 report: Bellew takes his revenge with points win over Cleverly
Perth midfielder Ruben Zadkovich sent off 17 seconds after coming on against Wellington
England vs Samoa match report: England finally end losing streak as Jonny May stars in win ahead of Wallabies showdown
WWE Survivor Series 2014: Start time and full match card
Arsenal vs Manchester United report: Wayne Rooney and a Kieran Gibbs own goal make Gunners rue missed chances
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track