Ashes 2013: 'One-Test wonder' Chris Rogers is Darren Lehmann’s choice to open batting for Australia
Monday 01 July 2013
In less than a week Darren Lehmann has transformed Australia. It may not mean that they regain the Ashes but their new coach has swiftly declared his hand.
He continued his audacious start on Monday by confirming that the 35-year-old veteran Chris Rogers will open the batting in the Ashes series which begins next week.
Lehmann had already declared that Shane Watson will move back to the top of the order, which will give the Test side a brand new opening partnership.
If this follows the lead of England, who have promoted Joe Root to be Alastair Cook’s opening partner, it is much more sweeping. David Warner and Ed Cowan, who are both in the squad, had opened for the previous 17 successive Tests.
They are both now challenging for positions lower down, Cowan probably at three, Warner, who is still banned after punching Root in the face in a Birmingham bar, at six.
Lehmann, who took over when Mickey Arthur was astonishingly sacked a week ago, said: “Watson and Rogers will open the batting for Australia, I’m comfortable with that. They’ll play the first Test. All the rest are in the frame, but Rogers has obviously been picked for a reason by the previous selection panel and we’re really comfortable with that, he’s had a great summer here with Middlesex, made two big hundreds and been in good form.”
Watson has opened in 46 of his 75 innings before being dropped down the order. Rogers (below) has played only one Test match five years ago, when he scored four and 15 opening against India. He has been recalled to the squad to add wisdom, if not necessarily international experience.
“It’s a huge thrill,” Rogers said. “Anyone who has been selected doesn’t want to be a one-Test wonder. I had probably given up hope at times but I guess, with the new selection committee and retirements of Ricky Ponting and Mike Hussey, it gave me a bit of hope that they would pick an older head.”
Lehmann has made it clear that he expects Australia to play in a certain way. As he put it after their training session in Worcester yesterday, they will be in the contest and will not be standing back.
“I suppose we want people to love watching us play and come through the gates,” he said. “It is going to be an exciting series full stop. The appointment might be seen as an aggressive one and we are going to play an aggressive brand of cricket – there is no doubt about that.”
In a way the policy is a throwback to when Lehmann played his 27 Test matches, 22 of which Australia won. But then the team contained some of the game’s most legendary players; this one does not.
Attack may be a favoured philosophy, but it may not necessarily be effective. However, the players are clearly at ease with it – for now.
While Lehmann might have settled quickly into the job he can still hardly believe he is doing it.
“I was supposed to be in Yorkshire this week having barbecues with my wife and a beer,” he said. “It has been a really eventful few days. It has started to slow down now I am in the role and I know what I am doing and where we are heading.
“That first 12-24 hours was quite critical for changing the way we do things and how I perceived the way we wanted to play, and it was quite easy because the players have been great so it has been an easy transition.”
They resume it today in Worcestershire when Ryan Harris and Jackson Bird will form part of their seam attack, with the 19-year-old left-arm spinner Ashton Agar also appearing.
-
Transfer news: Brendan Rodgers says Arsenal lack 'class' over their £40m pursuit of Luis Suarez
-
Transfer news: Tottenham insist Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata must be included in £87m deal for Gareth Bale
-
Australia 527-7 dec & 172-7 England 368: England can retain Ashes as rain looks to frustrate bold Aussies
-
Transfer news: Manchester United confirm second Chelsea bid for Wayne Rooney has been rejected
-
Transfer news: Arsene Wenger says it is 'difficult to predict' whether Liverpool striker Luis Suarez will sign for Arsenal
- 1 Is the Muslim call to prayer really such a menace?
- 2 Channel 4 to 'provoke' viewers who associate Islam with terrorism with live call to prayer during Ramadan
- 3 US army doctor returns arm to Vietnamese soldier fifty years after he took it as a souvenir
- 4 Police seize possessions of rough sleepers in crackdown on homelessness
- 5 Demand for food banks has nothing to do with benefits squeeze, says Work minister Lord Freud
How will you make today delicious?
Tell us how you plan to make today delicious and you could win a £50 M&S gift card.
Win a three-night weekend break for two in Stockholm
Hesperus Press are offering the chance to win a three-night weekend away for two to Stockholm.
Summer food reader survey
Take our grocery shopping survey for your chance to win a £100 M&S store gift card.
See Norway’s spectacular coastline
There is no finer way to discover and explore the dramatic Norwegian coastline than aboard an authentic Hurtigruten cruise.
Where's Wallonia?
War and peace: history revisited in the cities of Southern Belgium - a travel guide in association with the Belgian Tourist Office.
Win first-class inter-rail passes
Win first-class rail passes to explore the sights and sounds of Europe with redspottedhanky.com.
Celebrate the joy of reading with NOOK®
You can buy a NOOK Simple Touch Glowlight at £69, or the NOOK HD 8GB Tablet for just £99 - until 3 September.
Enter the latest Independent competitions
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Business videos from commercial thought leaders
Watch the best in the business world give their insights into the world of business.
Career Services
Day In a Page
Special report: How my father's face turned up in Robert Capa's lost suitcase
The unmade speech: An alternative draft of history
Funny business: Meet the women running comedy
DJ Taylor: Who stole the people's own culture?
Guest List: IoS Literary Editor suggests some books for your summer holiday
Rupert Cornwell: What if Edward Snowden had stayed to fight his corner?
Comedian Tig Notaro: 'Hello. I have cancer'
Bill Granger's Asia-influenced egg recipes






