Bell 'desperate' for call to Ashes
Wednesday 22 July 2009
Ian Bell had a frustrating day here yesterday. He spent it padded up, waiting for the first Warwickshire wicket to tumble. But, in fact, all that fell was rain.
Play was eventually called off late in the afternoon by which time the Warwickshire openers had splashed their way to 30 against Hampshire on the first day of play, leaving Bell to speak of his England hopes. Should Kevin Pietersen be confirmed as being out of contention for the third Ashes Test against Australia next week because of his Achilles injury, Bell looks a shoo-in as England No 6.
Although to hear him talk, he would be just as happy for Pietersen to be fit. "We are desperate for Kev to play," Bell said. He is our No 1 player. Everyone wants to see him back on the field, I am no different."
However, if Pietersen is sidelined, Bell knows what he wants. "If he is unavailable then I will be desperate to play." It is not just a desire to play in one more Test either. "I am desperate to play 100 Test matches for England," he insisted.
If Bell is called up and manages to maintain his present form it could well be Pietersen struggling to get back in the side. In his last six Championship innings, Bell has passed 50 on five occasions, turning the last one – against Lancashire – into his second hundred of the season.
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward