Broad's winning start as captain

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Stuart Broad claimed his first win as England's Twenty20 captain following a last-over six-wicket win against India at Old Trafford tonight.

Jade Dernbach's record-equalling figures of four wickets for 22 runs by an England bowler paved the way for victory in the one-off match after India were bowled out for 165.

England made heavy work of their chase, but with 10 needed from Vinay Kumar's final over Samit Patel hit three successive fours to guide England home with three balls left.

It ensured Broad's first success in his second game in charge with Eoin Morgan (49) leading the way after his 73-run stand with Ravi Bopara (31 off 36 balls) set up the successful chase.

England had initially looked set to concede a far bigger total after opener Ajinkya Rahane blazed a debut half-century.

The right-hander plundered 61 from 39 balls while fellow first-gamer, 38-year-old Rahul Dravid, added a quickfire 31 as the tourists passed 100 in 69 balls.

But England's bowlers, led by Dernbach who equalled Paul Collingwood's England-best figures taken against Sri Lanka in 2006, clawed their way back as India lost their final five wickets in 13 balls to set an achievable target.

England's chase got off to a terrible start when Alex Hales, one of two debutants alongside Jos Buttler, was trapped lbw for a duck by Praveen Kumar from the second ball.

Despite the early loss, Craig Kieswetter and Kevin Pietersen played unhindered to combine for 58 from 37 balls.

Both struck the ball sweetly, with Pietersen surving a tough dropped chance by Parthiv Patel on 11, although they both fell in quick succession to cause some alarm.

Kieswetter offered a simple chance to Suresh Raina off Munaf Patel before Pietersen was stumped down the leg-side.

Morgan and Bopara then seemed to have the chase in hand when they combined in a stand of 73 from 49 balls.

The pair were happy to pick the gaps but also chose their moments to attack, blasting 17 off one over from part-timer Rohit Sharma.

They looked set fair to take England home before Morgan was caught by Sharma on 49, with the television umpire confirming his low catch.

England then hit a late lull and when Munaf Patel's penultimate over cost just three runs they were suddenly left needing 10 from the final over.

But Patel held his nerve, slicing a pair of fours to third man before hitting over mid-off to sew up victory.

India were without injured stars Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir at the top of the order but their absence was hardly felt as Rahane took centre stage.

The 23-year-old blasted his way to a debut half-century from just 29 balls by pouncing on anything short.

The right-hander should have been run out on 17 though, when Broad missed with three stumps to aim at in his follow through, and it proved costly as Rahane led an initial onslaught.

After opening partner Patel was deceived by a Dernbach slower ball, Rahane and Dravid, playing his first and last Twenty20 international as cover for the injured regulars, thrashed 65 in 42 balls.

Dravid initially began slowly and survived when Kieswetter dropped a fine edge off Graeme Swann.

The veteran eventually found his range and swiped Samit Patel for a hat-trick of sixes to bring up the India 100 from 67 balls.

The tourists were on course for a big score but just as Dravid was looking comfortable, reaching 31 off 21 balls, he was sharply taken by Morgan at cover off Bopara.

It was the start of an England fightback and skipper Broad made the intial inroads when he removed Rahane, caught by Dernbach at third man, and Virat Kohli in the same over.

England pegged further ground back when Kieswetter rode his luck, after initially spilling a stumping chance, to recover and catch Sharma out of his ground off Swann.

India had lost four for 13 and despite Suresh Raina briefly threatening a recovery mission with 33 off 19 balls they were again undone by more late wickets.

Dernbach cleaned up the tail, outfoxing Mahendra Singh Dhoni with another clever slower ball before having last man Munaf caught behind.