County Championship round-up: Lancashire wilt before Morkel's assault
Wednesday 18 June 2008
Lancashire suffered their first defeat in this season's Twenty20 Cup North Division after a blistering display of hitting by Albie Morkel galloped Durham to a six-wicket victory at Old Trafford last night. The South African all-rounder clubbed five sixes in making 45 off 19 balls as the visitors chased down their target of 181 with an over to spare.
Stuart Law and Mal Loye hit half-centuries in Lancashire's total of 180 for 6, but first Philip Mustard, England's discarded one-day opener, with 61 from 44 balls, and then Morkel made light work of a challenging target.
Northamptonshire made it four wins out of four in the Midlands/West/Wales Division. Rob White's unbeaten 94 from just 57 balls took them to a six-wicket win over Gloucestershire at Milton Keynes.
2014 World Cup draw: Roy Hodgson raises possibility of England switching base away from Rio de Janeiro
Liverpool 5 Norwich 1: Brendan Rodgers takes a swipe at Arsenal by claiming Luis Suarez is now worth '£40m and two pounds'
Transfer news: Manchester United's ambitious transfer plans at risk from possible failure to qualify for Champions League
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
Manchester City sign the 'new Lionel Messi' Brahim Abdelkader, and in doing so put one over Barcelona
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail