County round-up: Trescothick makes 203 but Somerset could run out of time
Friday 29 July 2011
Marcus Trescothick's prolific season brought the former England opener the fifth double century of his career as Somerset made 591 for 9 to overtake Worcestershire on a run-filled pitch at New Road. However, with only a day left the win his side need to maintain an outside chance in the title race may prove elusive.
Nick Compton's failure on 95 significantly reduced their chances of turning their advantage into a substantial first-innings lead, which seemed their only chance of success. Half-centuries from James Hildreth and Craig Kieswetter advanced their cause but Trescothick – who made 203 – declared at nine down with a lead of only 103 and a draw is the likeliest outcome.
NFL fans were so loud during a match that their celebrations registered as a minor earthquake
Tyre firm aimed to show how their tyres would perform in ‘unexpected’ conditions
filmAs she returns to musicals in Black Nativity, the Oscar winner opens up about coming back from tragedy
TelevisionThe enduring fascination with the life of the aristocrat fugitive continues in an ITV drama. We hear from its stars
Arsenal v Hull: Arsene Wenger ignores the sceptics and tells Gunners to seize Premier League title chance
Premier League: Arsenal beware - this is the tightest season in 11 years
Brazuca: Lionel Messi helps Adidas unveil the official ball for World Cup 2014
Manchester United v Everton: David Moyes keeps lid on emotions ahead of Everton's visit to Old Trafford
Arsenal v Hull: Bacary Sagna ruled out with hamstring injury while Arsene Wenger denies Alvaro Morata agreement
- 1 John Williams' Stoner wins Waterstones Book of the Year
- 2 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Food poverty in UK has reached level of 'public health emergency', warn experts
- 5 I’m sure Kate Moss doesn't care about posing for Playboy. But I do