David Warner given maximum fine following Twitter outburst over IPL corruption article
Cricket Australia charge batsman with 'unbecoming behaviour' and fine him A$5,750 ahead of summer Ashes series
Wednesday 22 May 2013
Australia batsman David Warner has been fined A$5,750 ($5,600) for his Twitter outburst against two journalists, the maximum financial penalty for a first offence, Cricket Australia (CA) said on Wednesday.
The 26-year-old, who was playing in the Indian Premier League (IPL) when he tweeted the insults, faced a disciplinary hearing on his arrival back in Sydney on Wednesday, charged with "unbecoming behaviour".
Warner was angered that a newspaper had used a picture of him next to an article on corruption in the IPL written by Robert Craddock. Another journalist, Malcolm Conn, was attacked when he entered the conversation in support of his colleague.
"In hindsight, clearly I let my frustrations get the better of me and posted some inappropriate tweets last weekend," Warner said in a CA statement.
"While I disagreed with the story and my image being used alongside the story, I could have chosen my words better and I apologise for any offence that my language may have caused.
"I'll continue to have honest conversations with all my followers and I will be mindful of the language I use in future."
The flamboyant left-hander looks likely to open the batting for Australia in back-to-back Ashes series against England starting in July.
Earlier on Wednesday, he received backing from Australia captain Michael Clarke, who suggested the incident may not harm his chances of one day captaining his country.
"He's apologised and made it very clear it was unacceptable," Clarke told reporters at Sydney airport.
"I think Davey has great potential to be a leader of the Australian cricket team. He's a wonderful guy and wonderful player.
"He's learned from this ... and if he continues to grow as he has over the last few years, there's no reason why he hasn't got the potential to captain Australia one day."
Clarke, who once apologised for not "walking" via Twitter, also said there were no plans to restrict the use of social media by players, although they needed to recognise there was "a line that cannot be crossed".
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food