Downpour helps Essex slip into quarter-final
Tuesday 27 May 2008
Essex took a place in the quarter-finals of the Friends Provident Trophy yesterday with a point from their cancelled match against Sussex at Hastings.
Umpires Jeremy Lloyds and Neil Mallender ruled that no play would be possible at Horntye Park following a third inspection at 2pm. Heavy rain overnight had made the square unplayable and the match, Sussex's first in Hastings for eight years, was called off with grey, threatening skies all around the ground.
Essex's point from the no result puts them two behind the leaders Kent, and they play their final match in the South East group against Middlesex at Lord's tomorrow.
Kent's final home match in the group stages against Middlesex was called off without a ball being bowled due to torrential overnight rain which left the outfield under water at Tunbridge Wells.
Tony Bellew vs Nathan Cleverly: Bellew takes his revenge with points win over Cleverly
Perth midfielder Ruben Zadkovich sent off 17 seconds after coming on against Wellington
England vs Samoa match report: England finally end losing streak as Jonny May stars in win ahead of Wallabies showdown
Manchester United transfer news: Robin van Persie could leave this summer with Edinson Cavani and Thomas Muller on United wish-list
Arsenal vs Manchester United match report: Wayne Rooney and a Keiran Gibbs own goal make Gunners rue missed chances
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track