Five-star Kirby has champions reeling
Monday 28 March 2011
Nottinghamshire toiled on the first day of their match against the MCC in the season's traditional curtain-raising fixture.
The MCC won the toss and chose to bat in Abu Dhabi's Sheikh Zayed Stadium, amassing 218 before reducing last season's county champions to 86 for 8 – with Steve Kirby taking five of the wickets.
Dawid Malan (71), Steve Davies (30) and Toby Roland-Jones (30 not out) led the MCC effort with the bat, with Luke Fletcher and Samit Patel each taking four wickets for Nottinghamshire.
Kirby sparked a slump from 19 without loss to 37 for 6 by taking the wicket of Mark Wagh – and followed up with Alex Hales, Patel, Ali Brown and Brett Hutton as the east Midlands county made a poor start to a match which looks unlikely to last the scheduled four days.
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First