Ganguly joins select few on 10,000-run mark
The 33-year-old former India captain achieved the total when reaching 33 with a quick single off fast bowler Dilhara Fernando before being dismissed for 51. It was his 272nd one-day game. Ganguly was returning after a four-match ban for slow over rates.
Others to have passed 10,000 runs are Ganguly's countryman Sachin Tendulkar, and the Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq.
Ganguly was prevented from celebrating a victory as Sri Lanka won by four wickets to confirm their place in next Tuesday's final. India have to beat West Indies on Sunday to join them.
* Inzamam has asked England to review their decision not to play a Test in Karachi later this year. England are due to tour Pakistan from 26 October for three Tests and five one-day internationals. They will play only a one-dayer, in Karachi in December for security reasons.
Inzamam said: "When India played no untoward incident took place."
Mayweather-Pacquiao: Ricky Hatton, Mike Tyson, Ronda Rousey and more make their predictions
Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
How Liverpool can catch Manchester United and still qualify for the Champions League
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: What time does it start and where can I watch it?
Arsenal transfer targets: The summer signings that would please Thierry Henry, including Sami Khedira and Edinson Cavani
- 1 Avengers: Age of Ultron: Nearly 700 German cinemas refuse to show movie
- 2 Man cooked alive with 12,000 pounds of tuna
- 3 X Factor in crisis as numbers of people auditioning plummets
- 4 General Election 2015: Stephen Hawking says he will vote Labour
- 5 Baltimore riots: Furious mother marches her son home live on TV
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
Bali Nine executions live: Indonesian firing squad shoots dead eight drug offenders despite outcry around world, but a ninth is spared
EU exit would hit UK economy much harder than neighbouring countries, study finds
Andrew Lloyd Webber: Phantom of the Opera writer mocked after issuing a warning about Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon