Harmison stakes claim for Test return

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Stephen Harmison proved his fitness for England's fifth Test against South Africa with 4 for 43 in Durham's day-night victory over Sussex in the National League Second Division at Chester-le-Street yesterday.

Sussex were bowled out for 137 in 38.5 overs, and Durham knocked off the runs for six wickets, with Paul Collingwood scoring 45.

Left out of the fourth Test defeat at Headingley, Harmison returned to the Riverside with 3 for 31 in Sunday's National League win over Hampshire, who were bowled out for 131.

At Edgbaston yesterday, Warwickshire had raced to 155 for 2 by lunch and the Middlesex captain, Andrew Strauss, must have been regretting his decision to put the home side in to bat in the County Championship First Division match.

However, Strauss was vindicated as Warwickshire ­ following the loss of captain Michael Powell (who hit 73 from 96 balls) ­ subsided to 290 all out after losing eight wickets for 135. A rare blip in Strauss's batting form then put the seal on a day of highs and lows.

The left-hander registered his first duck in 71 Championship innings since May 2001 when he lost his middle stump to a first ball yorker from Waqar Younis.

In the Second Division Yorkshire's Matthew Wood responded to Glamorgan's 466 all out with an unbeaten 124 on the second day of their important match at Colwyn Bay. The visitors eased to 291 for 4 at the close.

Wood passed 1,000 championship runs for the season in the course of compiling his fourth first-class hundred of the year, while the captain Anthony McGrath also made a half century.

Derek Kenway's second Championship century of the season led Hampshire to a useful 300 for 7 on a green Taunton pitch after Somerset had won the toss.

The opener reached his hundred off 123 balls before falling for exactly 100. Captain John Crawley made 60 as the home side paid for a poor morning session.

Somerset bowled better after lunch and Richard Johnson picked up three for 67 as Hampshire slipped from 175 for one to 234 for five before James Hamblin (31) and Lawrence Prittipaul (39) steadied the innings.

Robin Smith had to retire hurt with a hamstring problem on seven and returned to bat with a runner at the fall of the seventh wicket before bad light ended play early.