Hilfenhaus's rapid haul leaves India without hope
India 161 & 171 Australia 369 (Australia win by an innings and 37 runs)
A rampant Australia blitzed India's tail to inflict an innings defeat on the tourists with more than two days to spare in the third Test in Perth yesterday, giving the hosts an unassailable 3-0 lead in the four-match series.
India's misery was compounded when captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni was banned for the final Test in Adelaide, beginning next week, after his team was found guilty of failing to maintain an acceptable over-rate in the match.
In a dramatic climax to the rout, Ben Hilfenhaus (4-54) took three wickets in five balls before Peter Siddle (3-43) removed Virat Kohli for 75 in the next over to end India's second innings at 171, just 10 runs better than their first.
Australia reclaimed the Border-Gavaskar trophy they relinquished in 2009 and captain Michael Clarke paid tribute to man of the match David Warner, whose innings of 180 included the fastest Test century by an opener, coming off just 69 balls.
"We should be very proud to have beaten the No 2-ranked Test team in the world," Clarke said. "It's a very satisfying victory. Our bowlers deserve a lot of credit for taking 20 wickets again against a very good batting side. I think we played really well and I couldn't be happier."
McDowell did brilliantly to land the World Match Play title in Bulgaria last week, but it’s a format...
by Gareth Purnell
23 May 2013 09:13 AM
Wow - what a weekend for British Motorcycle racing!
by Luke Wilkins
22 May 2013 05:00 AM
The dust is barely settling on the Premier League season and the bookies are looking to persuade us ...
by Gareth Purnell
22 May 2013 02:01 AM
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness Ingrid Loyau-Kennett gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.