James Anderson and Joe Root 10th wicket stand: World record feat in numbers
The pair put on 198 runs against India
Having seen India put on a large 10th wicket stand during the first innings, James Anderson and Joe Root went even better, and then outdid any 10th wickets stand ever before.
Having clocked up 198 runs between them, Joe Root scored 154 not-out with Anderson's tally ending at 81.
We take a look at the incredible stand in numbers...
- England assembled the highest ever 10th wicket partnership in Tests of 198. It overtook the 163 shared by Phil Hughes and Ashton Agar at Trent Bridge last year.
- The highest stand for the 10th wicket by England had stood for 111 years since Tip Foster and Wilfred Rhodes put on 130 against Australia at Sydney.
- Jimmy Anderson’s 81 was the highest score by an England number 11, overhauling the 59no made by John Snow against West Indies at The Oval in 1966.
- Anderson and Snow are the only England number 11s to make a Test fifty. There have been 17 in all and Anderson’s is the third highest behind Ashton Agar and Tino Best, who both played their innings in England in 2012 and 2013 respectively.
- At 232 minutes, Anderson’s was by almost an hour the longest innings by a number 11. Mushtaq Ahmed batted for 183 minutes for his 59 at Rawalpindi in 1997.
- Anderson has now made more Test runs this year than Alastair Cook. After Day Four of the Test Anderson had 98 in six innings, Cook 97 in seven.
- Joe Root was 50 when Anderson came in and went on to make 154no. Peter Willey was only 13 when joined by number 11 Bob Willis at The Oval in 1980 and finished on 100no.
Mayweather-Pacquiao: Ricky Hatton, Mike Tyson, Ronda Rousey and more make their predictions
Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
Olivier Giroud doesn't believe Chelsea will change their style next season and responds to Thierry Henry's criticism of the Arsenal striker
Kyle Walker video: Tottenham defender categorically denies 'disgusting' rumours on Facebook
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: What time does it start and where can I watch it?
- 1 Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
- 2 'Do not give them a reason': Baltimore man divides police and rioters in hope of avoiding violence
- 3 X Factor in crisis as numbers of people auditioning plummets
- 4 Baltimore riots: Furious mother marches her son home live on TV
- 5 General Election 2015: Stephen Hawking says he will vote Labour
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
Andrew Lloyd Webber: Phantom of the Opera writer mocked after issuing a warning about Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon
EU exit would hit UK economy much harder than neighbouring countries, study finds
General election 2015: Labour will toughen hate crimes legislation surrounding Islamophobia