James Anderson and Joe Root 10th wicket stand: World record feat in numbers
The pair put on 198 runs against India
Having seen India put on a large 10th wicket stand during the first innings, James Anderson and Joe Root went even better, and then outdid any 10th wickets stand ever before.
Having clocked up 198 runs between them, Joe Root scored 154 not-out with Anderson's tally ending at 81.
We take a look at the incredible stand in numbers...
- England assembled the highest ever 10th wicket partnership in Tests of 198. It overtook the 163 shared by Phil Hughes and Ashton Agar at Trent Bridge last year.
- The highest stand for the 10th wicket by England had stood for 111 years since Tip Foster and Wilfred Rhodes put on 130 against Australia at Sydney.
- Jimmy Anderson’s 81 was the highest score by an England number 11, overhauling the 59no made by John Snow against West Indies at The Oval in 1966.
- Anderson and Snow are the only England number 11s to make a Test fifty. There have been 17 in all and Anderson’s is the third highest behind Ashton Agar and Tino Best, who both played their innings in England in 2012 and 2013 respectively.
- At 232 minutes, Anderson’s was by almost an hour the longest innings by a number 11. Mushtaq Ahmed batted for 183 minutes for his 59 at Rawalpindi in 1997.
- Anderson has now made more Test runs this year than Alastair Cook. After Day Four of the Test Anderson had 98 in six innings, Cook 97 in seven.
- Joe Root was 50 when Anderson came in and went on to make 154no. Peter Willey was only 13 when joined by number 11 Bob Willis at The Oval in 1980 and finished on 100no.
Arsenal vs Manchester City: With Arsene Wenger missing a number of key players, who could start the Community Shield clash?
Chelsea transfer news: Didier Drogba returns to Stamford Bridge on one-year deal
Manchester United: Five things we've learned so far about Louis van Gaal, including his ability to accommodate Juan Mata, Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney
Liverpool transfer news: Reds 'in talks' to sign Benfica winger Nicolas Gaitan as summer spending threatens to exceed £100m
Manchester United transfer news: Angel Di Maria set to choose between Old Trafford and PSG in next few days
- 1 Calum Chambers: Southampton's latest example of Generation X-factor
- 2 Crash victims in car flattened by shipping container emerge with just minor injuries
- 3 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 Joey Barton and Yossi Benayoun become involved in Twitter row over Israel-Gaza conflict
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains