Morgan gets Lions moving
Wednesday 08 August 2012
The England Lions batsmen made only modest progress on the first day of the unofficial Test against Australia A at Old Trafford, reaching 140 for 4 off 66 overs after rain had wiped out the morning's play.
Captain Eoin Morgan made 50 and Nick Compton 46 on a slow wicket to nudge the senior England selectors who may soon have one or two vacancies to fill.
Ravi Bopara, who had been called into the Lions squad on Sunday evening after withdrawing from the Headingley Test for personal reasons, put his immediate international future in doubt by also pulling out of this match, saying via the England and Wales Cricket Board that it was "too early" for him to return to action.
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
newsFormer soldier taped 33 of the animals to the floor and then stamped on them one by one
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
Mesut Ozil reveals he really is the Superman at Arsenal, Jack Wilshere is Batman and don't make Lukas Podolski angry - it's the Arsenal Christmas Party
Transfer news: Liverpool - January transfer targets
Missing out on Tottenham job was a 'close shave', says Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers
The most underrated players in the Premier League
Transfer news: Chelsea - January transfer targets
- 1 North Koreans are gasping for the truth: Let's give it to them
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 4 Burglar steals video tapes of child abuse, hands them into police
- 5 Cycle death inquest: Boyfriend hugs driver of 32 tonne tipper truck that killed his girlfriend