Murali and Hussey help Chennai to glory
Monday 27 September 2010
Chennai Super Kings were crowned Champions League Twenty20 winners last night after outplaying the Warriors in Johannesburg on their way to an eight-wicket victory.
Muttiah Muralitharan (3 for 16) and Ravichandran Ashwin (2 for 16) restricted the home side to 128 for 7, with only the home captain Davy Jacobs (34) making any meaningful contribution.
Murali Vijay (58) and Michael Hussey (51) then hit half-centuries in a 103-run partnership to hand Chennai the title of best Twenty20 club in world cricket.
Chennai's captain MS Dhoni was ecstatic afterwards. "We had banked on the spinners throughout, but the line that Ashwin bowled with Murali was crucial. [Lakshmipathy] Balaji was very good as well. It can't get any better than this."
Warriors won the toss and made a powerful start putting on 39 for the first wicket. Muralitharan struck a double blow in the 14th over removing Mark Boucher (5) and Justin Kreusch (17). Craig Thyssen (25) tried to lift the Warriors, but the two spinners kept the victory target down to 129.
In reply Vijay and Hussey took seven overs to reach 50, before the India opener raised his 50 from 47 balls. The century stand followed, before his wicket fell followed by Suresh Raina (2). But Hussey and Mahendra Singh Dhoni (17 not out) guided their side over the line.
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 Greggs Google fail: bakery falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
- 3 Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict