New Zealand batsman Jesse Ryder released from hospital following attack
Cricketer was in a coma following incident outside a bar
Wednesday 03 April 2013
New Zealand batsman Jesse Ryder has been released from Christchurch Hospital six days after he was attacked outside a bar.
The 28-year-old was admitted to hospital in the early hours of Thursday morning and placed in an induced coma for two days after suffering multiple injuries, including a fractured skull.
Ryder released a statement on Sunday saying he was "heaps better" and his manager Aaron Klee revealed that he had returned to his Wellington home today.
"Jesse's returned home to Wellington this evening, the hospital released him this afternoon, he's improved to a stage where he's been discharged," Klee told ONE News.
"He couldn't wait to get home, he's relaxed but he's very tired and he's going to be very tired for a while, not a lot of energy."
Klee said it was still uncertain when Ryder - whose controversial international career has been put on hold since February last year due to off-field problems - would be able to return to normal day-to-day life.
"It's a bit of a wait and see, how first he recovers from his injuries and then regains everyday fitness and just see how things progress from there but rest is required at the moment," he said.
Two men - a 20-year-old and a 37-year-old who police said are related - will appear in Christchurch District Court tomorrow charged with assault.
Police believe Ryder was involved in an altercation with two people outside Aikmans bar in the Christchurch suburb of Merivale shortly after 12.30am local time on Thursday morning, and was then assaulted by one of the two, who followed him towards the car park of a nearby McDonald's.
Ryder spoke with police yesterday but was unable to recall the incident.
"Unfortunately Mr Ryder has no recollection of what took place or the events leading up to the incident," detective senior sergeant Brian Archer said in a statement from New Zealand Police.
"This is not uncommon when a victim has received a head injury of this nature.
"Should Mr Ryder gain sufficient recollection as his recovery continues then we may look to speak to him again, however there are no immediate plans to re-interview him at this time."
Ryder took to Twitter earlier today to offer his thanks for the support he has received since the incident, writing: "Once again the support everyone has shown me is amazing thank you all so much".
Klee then added on his own Twitter page: "Best thing I've done in the past week - drop DijaRyder home tonight :-)"
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 Loom bands: Bids for dress made from colourful rubber reach almost £154,000 on eBay
- 3 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 4 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 5 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
War is war: Why I stand with Israel