Panesar at the centre of racist abuse allegations
Tuesday 14 November 2006
Monty Panesar was racially abused during England's match against New South Wales in Sydney on Sunday, England have confirmed.
A Sydney newspaper alleged that a member of the crowd called the Sikh spinner a "stupid Indian".
"We were asked to confirm if the incident took place and we have done," said a spokesman for the England and Wales Cricket Board. "We're not going to make an official complaint at this stage."
The spokesman also said that both Kevin Pietersen and Panesar were abused in England's opening tour match in Canberra last week.
Panesar was fielding on the boundary for much of Sunday's play and the newspaper alleges that a supporter shouted: "Give us a wave, Monty. You can't speak English you stupid Indian, I'll have to say it in Indian. What are you doing playing in the English side? You're not English."
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Licence fee: What is the BBC charge – and how will the changes affect you?
- 3 This is what the photographer has to say about the picture of a weasel riding a woodpecker
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'