Petersen signs up with Essex
Monday 13 February 2012
South Africa batsman Alviro Petersen has revealed he is to join Essex for the first half of the new county season.
The 31-year-old, who captained Glamorgan last summer, will stay at Chelmsford until mid-June.
He wrote on Twitter: "Delighted to have signed a short-term contract with Essex CCC from the start of the season until mid-June 2012."
Petersen has played 10 Tests and 17 one-day internationals for his country. He scored 2,039 runs in all competitions for Glamorgan as their overseas player last summer and admitted he would have been open to a return to Cardiff, although last August Glamorgan signed Australian batsman Marcus North as their overseas player for 2012 and 2013.
Threat of 'catastrophic cascade of collisions' involving 300,000 pieces of rubbish must be averted, warn scientists
- 1 Oxford is the least affordable city in the UK, where houses cost 11 times local salaries
- 2 Australian man Rod Sommerville reacts to bite from deadly snake by reaching for cold beer
- 3 North Korea elections: Kim Jong-un wins 100% of the vote
- 4 David Cameron resorts to paying for Facebook fans because not enough people like him
- 5 Steve Irwin’s final words: Cameraman present at death opens up about deadly stingray attack for the first time
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Vince Cable: Teachers 'know absolutely nothing' about the world of work
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home