Rajan's Wrong-un: Punter avoids hit in pocket from ICC for striking TV screen in anger
Thursday 24 February 2011
This column's favourite World Cup villain, poor Ricky Ponting, has been reprimanded by the ICC over his television-smashing antics. You'll recall that the Australian captain was so irate at being run out by Zimbabwe's Chris Mpofu – not the first time he's been undone by a brilliant direct hit – that he threw his gloves at an LCD screen in his dressing room. Such violence the ICC won't tolerate, and so poor Ricky (although not that poor as he has escaped a fine) has been told that that sort of thing is just not cricket.
* Word reaches me, incidentally of an extraordinary pre-tournament statistic. Paddy Power took only a single bet on poor Ricky (other nickname: Punter) to be top run-scorer for the tournament, at 25-1. Surely poor Ricky, with more than 240 runs in the last four finals, and the record for most World Cup sixes, deserves better.
Tendulkar's one-year anniversary
It was a year ago today that Sachin Tendulkar became the first man to score 200 in a one-dayer. Saeed Anwar's record 194, equalled by Charles Coventry in 2009, had remained unbeaten for 13 years.
Cigarettes banned – for being the wrong brand
Organisers of yesterday's game in Hambantota couldn't make their minds up. First they lifted the ban on musical instruments, terrified that a paltry crowd would sound rubbish. Then, yesterday, security guards confiscated any non-approved branded products, so terrified were they of annoying sponsors.
Lighters, cigarettes, and match boxes were taken from unsuspecting spectators. I should declare I find this particularly shocking because a few years back I smuggled two bottles of whisky into a day-night game at this glorious venue. The guards even accepted bribes in Thai baht, I seem to recall.
West Ham vs Arsenal match report: Sam Allardyce fumes at referee as Arsenal push on towards top four
Tottenham vs Manchester United match report: Hugo Lloris blocks Manchester United from putting pressure on Premier League title rivals
Liverpool vs Swansea preview: 'Jonjo Shelvey is lazy, he needs to wise up,' says Garry Monk
Arsenal transfer news: William Carvalho to be subject of £20m bid
West Ham 1 Arsenal 2 player ratings: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain? Andy Carroll? Alexis Sanchez? Who was the star man?
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 Doctors remove 80 teeth from boy's jaw
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk