Rajan's Wrong-un: Punter avoids hit in pocket from ICC for striking TV screen in anger
Thursday 24 February 2011
This column's favourite World Cup villain, poor Ricky Ponting, has been reprimanded by the ICC over his television-smashing antics. You'll recall that the Australian captain was so irate at being run out by Zimbabwe's Chris Mpofu – not the first time he's been undone by a brilliant direct hit – that he threw his gloves at an LCD screen in his dressing room. Such violence the ICC won't tolerate, and so poor Ricky (although not that poor as he has escaped a fine) has been told that that sort of thing is just not cricket.
* Word reaches me, incidentally of an extraordinary pre-tournament statistic. Paddy Power took only a single bet on poor Ricky (other nickname: Punter) to be top run-scorer for the tournament, at 25-1. Surely poor Ricky, with more than 240 runs in the last four finals, and the record for most World Cup sixes, deserves better.
Tendulkar's one-year anniversary
It was a year ago today that Sachin Tendulkar became the first man to score 200 in a one-dayer. Saeed Anwar's record 194, equalled by Charles Coventry in 2009, had remained unbeaten for 13 years.
Cigarettes banned – for being the wrong brand
Organisers of yesterday's game in Hambantota couldn't make their minds up. First they lifted the ban on musical instruments, terrified that a paltry crowd would sound rubbish. Then, yesterday, security guards confiscated any non-approved branded products, so terrified were they of annoying sponsors.
Lighters, cigarettes, and match boxes were taken from unsuspecting spectators. I should declare I find this particularly shocking because a few years back I smuggled two bottles of whisky into a day-night game at this glorious venue. The guards even accepted bribes in Thai baht, I seem to recall.
Cristiano Ronaldo: Unhappy forward is ready to quit Real Madrid, according to Angel Di Maria
Tim Wiese offered WWE role after German goalkeeper packs on muscle
Borussia Dortmund vs Arsenal: Jurgen Klopp concerned with Dortmund injuries and praises signings of Danny Welbeck and Alexis Sanchez
Hull City vs West Ham match report: Enner Valencia stars as honours shared at the KC Stadium
Cristiano Ronaldo to Manchester United: Ramon Calderon claims Real Madrid star is 'fed up'
- 1 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 2 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
- 5 QS university world rankings: Imperial College London leapfrogs Oxford to join Cambridge as best British university
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly