Round-up: ECB plan for home version of IPL in jeopardy

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The England and Wales Cricket Board have scrapped plans to have two domestic Twenty20 tournaments next season. This could signal an end of English plans to create a 20-over rival to the glitz and glamour of the Indian Premier League.

Proposals for one enhanced competition will be put before an ECB meeting with county chairmen and chief executives this Wednesday.

"We've had a year of serious and detailed consideration on the best structure for the England cricket team, their supporters, and domestic cricket in England and Wales," said an ECB spokesman.

Cricket officials had planned a tournament – initially called the P20 – scheduled to be played over three weeks in June from 2010 onwards. However, there were serious problems with funding, while counties were concerned with how a long competition would upset the scheduling of other forms of the domestic game.

On the pitch Durham took only seven balls to beat Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge by an innings and 102 runs and go 36 points clear at the top of Division One. For the home side it was their first defeat of the season, although they have two games in hand on the leaders.

With the hosts 79 for nine overnight and still requiring 106 runs to make the visitors bat again, Charlie Shreck hit Ian Blackwell for four before driving to Callum Thorp at mid-on to end proceedings.

The easy win gave Steve Harmison a chance to have a well-earned rest and hope for a call from England for the Third Test after his match figures of 7 for 65.

Elsewhere, at Arundel Sussex were frustrated by a resilient Hampshire and Warwickshire drew with Lancashire at Edgbaston. In Division Two, Kent beat Glamorgan by an innings and 45 runs at Sophia Gardens.

Kent captain Robert Key forced the result by adding 113 runs with Justin Kemp, before declaring on 557 for five – a lead of 240 runs.

Key's declaration came after Kemp was dismissed 10 runs short of his century, with Key unbeaten on 270.

South Africa quick-bowler Wayne Parnell then grabbed two quick wickets, either side of Amjad Khan trapping free-scoring Herschelle Gibbs lbw for four, and James Tredwell grabbed four wickets to lift Kent to the top of the table.

Surrey edged Essex in the battle for bonus points, claiming 11 to the visitors' 10, as rain, bad light and a power cut led to a premature end to the deadlock at Guildford.

The game ended with Essex on 201 for three in their second innings – an overall lead of 250.

With light fading fast and neither electronic scoreboard working on the ground, visiting captain Mark Pettini ducked into a Tim Linley bouncer and narrowly avoided falling on his stumps.

The umpires took the players from the field to leave Essex overseas signing Hashim Amla unbeaten on 81.