Round-Up: Newby finds target to skittle Fleming and Read
Thursday 25 May 2006
Lancashire made the best of a weather-hit first day of their Championship match with Nottinghamshire thanks to Oliver Newby. Newby, who spent a month on loan with the champions last season, took 3 for 42 as the visitors finished on 201 for 7. Nottinghamshire slipped to 81 for 4 before the captain Stephen Fleming (42) and Chris Read (53) steadied the ship, but Newby dismissed both.
Former England batsman Ed Smith hit 120 not out to guide Middlesex to 255 for 3 after they were put in by Warwickshire at Lord's. Owais Shah (73) was leg before to Heath Streak, whose bowlers let him down on a day offering the attack ample assistance.
In the Second Division, Essex dismissed Gloucestershire for 396, four runs shy of full batting points despite a ton from Ian Harvey (114). Alex Tudor, playing his first Championship match for 13 months, finished with 1 for 74. Essex reached 172 for 3 at close, Varun Chopra, the former England Under-19 captain, reaching 80 not out with some superb cover drives.
* Eric Bedser, the twin brother of the former England seam bowler Alec, has died at the age of 87. Bedser played 457 games for Surrey, scoring more than 14,000 runs and taking over 800 wickets.
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger set to cancel moves for Sami Khedira and Morgan Schneiderlin in favour of Jack Wilshere - reports
Cristiano Ronaldo could return against Manchester United - but it won't be like previous reunions
Calum Chambers joins Arsenal: New £16m signing put through Arsenal initiation as he sings The Kooks in front of team-mates
Manchester United transfer news: Mats Hummels, Daley Blind and Thomas Vermaelen on radar as Louis van Gaal reveals he still wants to sign defender
Seydou Keita refuses Pepe handshake before throwing water bottle prior to Roma vs Real Madrid match
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 4 Zayn Malik on Israel-Gaza: One Direction singer bombarded with Twitter death threats after posting #FreePalestine
- 5 'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'