Seven arrested after 105 policeman fall ill at World Cup
Police have arrested seven people following a raid on a restaurant after 105 policeman on World Cup security duty fell ill on Tuesday.
The policemen, who included more than a dozen from the elite Rapid Action Battalion, started vomiting after eating food supplied by a local contractor.
"We have taken the matter very seriously and the incident is being investigated," Bangladesh State Minister for Youth and Sports Ahad Ali Sarkar said in a statement today.
The incident took place on the eve of the first quarter-final between Pakistan and West Indies.
Bangladesh imposed top level security for World Cup teams after the West Indies' team bus was stoned following a group game in Dhaka this month.
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
The worst owner in football? Vincent Tan faces fan backlash as Malky Mackay clings to Cardiff job
Bonuses for goals and top four finish as Luiz Suarez joins Premier League's top three earners
Luis Suarez: Liverpool striker ends exit speculation by signing 'long-term' contract
Transfer news: Tottenham Hotspur - January transfer targets
- 1 Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
- 2 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 5 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'