Stanford confirms plans for lucrative fixtures
Wednesday 11 June 2008
England's players will each receive £500,000 if they win their lucrative Twenty20 challenge match with Sir Allen Stanford's all-star side.
Texan billionaire Stanford this afternoon confirmed agreement had been reached with the England and Wales Cricket Board to stage the first of what will be a series of matches in Antigua on November 1.
The match has been billed as '20/20 for 20' - with all the $20m prize money going to the winning team.
ECB chief executive David Collier said at this afternoon's launch: "It will be one million dollars for each of the players in the 11 in the match, if they win."
Stanford said: "It is one night, winner-takes-all $20m. The winner goes home happy, the loser goes home unhappy."
The ECB began discussions with Stanford, backer of the Caribbean Twenty20 competition, as they looked for ways to better exploit the growing popularity of the game's shortest format.
The development follows the successful launch of the Indian Premier League and the announcement of a new Champions League tournament for teams from England, India, Australia and South Africa.
Collier added: "It is a wonderful opportunity. It is wonderful to have such a warm endorsement from Sir Allen and it is testament to what we have been trying to do in the game."
Stanford, now a citizen of Antigua and Barbuda, got involved in cricket in an effort to raise the standard of the game in the West Indies.
He added: "I don't think I'm giving it [the money] away. I'm investing it in cricket's future in the West Indies.
"We're in a bit of a trough and I want to do everything I can to bring it back up. I'm doing the best I can.
"We had to create something that had never been done to take the sport to another level."
Stanford is happy to be working with the ECB, having previously been rebuffed in discussions with South Africa and India.
He added: "The ECB have the best organisation, the best management and the best structure to drive cricket into the 21st century."
Morgan Schneiderlin to Manchester United: Saints yet to receive 'serious offer' but midfielder could complete move by end of this week
Memphis Depay latest: Manchester United signing turns 'focus' on the season ahead
Sergio Ramos to Manchester United: Real Madrid defender 'wants' Old Trafford switch
Venezuelan TV host gets completely naked while reporting on Copa America win over Colombia
Manchester United transfer news: Javier Hernandez nears exit as Liverpool eye move for striker despite revealing Real Madrid video
- 1 Michael Douglas regrets 'embarrassing' Catherine Zeta-Jones with oral sex comments
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 Tunisian builder has been hailed a hero after knocking gunman to the ground with roof tiles
- 4 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 5 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
David Cameron struck double blow in his hopes to win Britain a new EU deal
Extend Right To Buy to tenants of private landlords, Labour's Jeremy Corbyn says
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato