Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.


Symonds loses Australia contract

Cricket Australia has withdrawn its contract offer to troubled allrounder Andrew Symonds and added injury-prone speedster Shaun Tait to its 25-man list.

Cricket Australia chief operations manager Michael Brown today confirmed that he had informed Symonds that his contract offer had been pulled following his latest alcohol-related indiscretion this month in England.

"Cricket Australia has advised Andrew Symonds that his contract offer for the next contract year (starts July 1) has been withdrawn," Brown said.

"Selectors have convened and have added Shaun Tait to the contract list for the coming year."

Brown said Symonds would still be clear to play in Australia and he was hopeful the 34-year-old would continue to play for Queensland in the domestic competition.

Symonds will not be contracted by the Bulls but Queensland Cricket has left the door open for him to play any form of the game next summer.