The Ashes: The best captains
Wednesday 10 November 2010
The 2010/11 Ashes are nearly upon us as England look to retain the urn against Australia.
As we build up to what is promising to be a hard-fought and competitive series, we bring you the best Ashes captains.
Richie Benaud (who makes it into our greatest eleven) said that captaincy was 90 per cent luck - but as our countdown shows, much could be done with the remaining 10 per cent.
Here, we assess the greatest captains to lead out their team in the Ashes.
Arsenal transfer news: Atletico Madrid closing in on Santi Cazorla - reports
Manchester United transfer news: Arturo Vidal subject of £39m bid
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger set to cancel moves for Sami Khedira and Morgan Schneiderlin in favour of Jack Wilshere - reports
Five things we’ve learned so far about Manchester United under Louis van Gaal
LA Galaxy vs Manchester United: 'Beautiful goals and beautiful attacks' - Louis van Gaal revels in 'fantastic' 7-0 start
- 1 Fifty Shades of Grey trailer released: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
- 2 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 3 50 books for students to read this summer: From Ernest Hemingway to Gillian Flynn
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia