Welcome win offers Starc reminder not to write off Aussies
Sri Lanka 115 Australia 119-2
Cahal Milmo is the chief reporter of The Independent and has been with the paper since 2000. He was born in London and previously worked at the Press Association news agency. He has reported on assignment at home and abroad, including Rwanda, Sudan and Burkina Faso, the phone hacking scandal and the London Olympics. In his spare time he is a keen runner and cyclist, and keeps an allotment.
Monday 08 November 2010
A win's a win, especially when it avoids the embarrassment of recording their worst run of results in over a century of trying. For all that it was a dead rubber, Australia will return to Brisbane for the start of the Ashes in a little over two weeks with the comfort blanket of a much-needed victory, having beaten Sri Lanka at the third attempt.
It was a good win too, by eight wickets and in a manner to which the cricketing world has become accustomed over the last couple of decades. Incisive pace bowling by Clint McKay and Mitchell Starc skittled Sri Lanka and then there were some much needed, and breezy, runs for Michael Clarke, the captain for the day with Ricky Ponting back in Hobart preparing to play for Tasmania. "Can our summer start from tonight?" said Clarke after Australia's first win in any form of the game since beating Pakistan at Lord's in July.
It was, admitted McKay, a relief. It was also the best return of the 27-year-old's career and although the seamer would appear unlikely to feature in the first Test, he believes the result can provide an overdue boost for Australian cricket. "It will kick-start our summer along nicely with the Ashes coming up," he claimed. "It's the first step in the right direction to make sure we play some good cricket all summer."
The Australian players now have one or two state games to find their first-class feet and there remain some pressing issues for the selectors to address. From their point of view it was the wrong Mitchell in the wickets yesterday. The 20-year-old Starc is seen as one for the future – it is Mitchell Johnson who the Australians desperately need to find some semblance of form. The man who is earmarked to spearhead Australia's attack at the Gabba on 25 November went wicketless again yesterday to finish the one-day series with a combined return of 1 for 128. This season he has managed a total of three first-class wickets. Doug Bollinger is still injured, while Peter Siddle and Nathan Hauritz were left out yesterday.
Starc was playing only his second game for Australia but the left-armer is earmarked for a future in the Baggy Green and if things go badly for the home side he could yet find himself making his bow in the Ashes. After McKay had made early inroads, Starc tore through the Sri Lankan middle order as the tourists were bowled out in just 32 overs. In reply Clarke made a run-a-ball half century as Australia won with 28 overs to spare. "We will get better from this," summed up Clarke.
The Washington Post editor helped Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein bring down President Nixon
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world