Giro d'Italia: Luca Paolini retains pink jersey as Bradley Wiggins slips off the pace
Bradley Wiggins is now sixth in the overall standings
Tuesday 07 May 2013
Enrico Battaglin of Italy sprinted to victory on the fourth stage of the Giro d'Italia today, while compatriot Luca Paolini retained the overall leader's pink jersey.
Battaglin, who rides for Bardiani Valvole-CSF Inox, won in a time of 6 hours, 14 minutes, 19 seconds along the hilly 246-kilometer (153-mile) route from Policastro Bussentino to Serra San Bruno.
The 23-year-old rider beat fellow Italians Fabio Felline and Giovanni Visconti in a bunch sprint on rainy, cobbled streets to claim his first Grand Tour stage victory.
Overall favorite Bradley Wiggins slipped to sixth in the general standings, 34 seconds behind Paolini. Main rival Vincenzo Nibali moved up to fourth, 31 seconds off the pink jersey.
Wednesday's fifth stage is a mainly flat, 199-kilometer (123.6-mile) leg from Cosenza to Matera.
More to follow...
Classification from Giro d'Italia after Stage 4...
1. Luca Paolini (Italy / Katusha) 15:18:51" 2. Rigoberto Uran (Colombia / Team Sky) +17" 3. Benat Intxausti (Spain / Movistar) +26" 4. Vincenzo Nibali (Italy / Astana) +31" 5. Ryder Hesjedal (Canada / Garmin) +34" 6. Bradley Wiggins (Britain / Team Sky) 7. Giampaolo Caruso (Italy / Katusha) +36" 8. Sergio Henao (Colombia / Team Sky) +37" 9. Mauro Santambrogio (Italy / Vini Fantini) +39" 10. Cadel Evans (Australia / BMC Racing) +42"
Latest in Sport
Andy Murray tells how coach Amélie Mauresmo revealed her pregnancy
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: The biggest fight of all time, or maybe just the most lucrative?
What time does Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao start?
Everton 3 Manchester United 0 player ratings: Who scored lower - Marouane Fellaini or Radamel Falcao?
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: What time does it start and where can I watch it?
- 2 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 3 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 4 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 5 Ian Brady: Moors murderer announces his support for Ukip and the SNP
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
£26000 - £28000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: Senior Accounts Assistan...
£24000 - £26000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£22000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is part of a Group...
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you a a young, dynamic pers...