Giro d'Italia: Luca Paolini retains pink jersey as Bradley Wiggins slips off the pace
Bradley Wiggins is now sixth in the overall standings
Tuesday 07 May 2013
Enrico Battaglin of Italy sprinted to victory on the fourth stage of the Giro d'Italia today, while compatriot Luca Paolini retained the overall leader's pink jersey.
Battaglin, who rides for Bardiani Valvole-CSF Inox, won in a time of 6 hours, 14 minutes, 19 seconds along the hilly 246-kilometer (153-mile) route from Policastro Bussentino to Serra San Bruno.
The 23-year-old rider beat fellow Italians Fabio Felline and Giovanni Visconti in a bunch sprint on rainy, cobbled streets to claim his first Grand Tour stage victory.
Overall favorite Bradley Wiggins slipped to sixth in the general standings, 34 seconds behind Paolini. Main rival Vincenzo Nibali moved up to fourth, 31 seconds off the pink jersey.
Wednesday's fifth stage is a mainly flat, 199-kilometer (123.6-mile) leg from Cosenza to Matera.
More to follow...
Classification from Giro d'Italia after Stage 4...
1. Luca Paolini (Italy / Katusha) 15:18:51" 2. Rigoberto Uran (Colombia / Team Sky) +17" 3. Benat Intxausti (Spain / Movistar) +26" 4. Vincenzo Nibali (Italy / Astana) +31" 5. Ryder Hesjedal (Canada / Garmin) +34" 6. Bradley Wiggins (Britain / Team Sky) 7. Giampaolo Caruso (Italy / Katusha) +36" 8. Sergio Henao (Colombia / Team Sky) +37" 9. Mauro Santambrogio (Italy / Vini Fantini) +39" 10. Cadel Evans (Australia / BMC Racing) +42"
Emergency call 'started off dumb, but got pretty serious'
Britain First criticised for using actress's memory to draw attention to their 'hate-filled home page'
Thought you'd seen it all after the Jeremy Paxman interview?
Greatest mystery about the hit BBC1 show is how it continues to be made at all, writes Grace Dent
"History is violent," says the US Army tank commander Don "Wardaddy" Collier
Striker's four-month ban for biting an opponent expires on Friday
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli comment: Time running out for 'lost boy' to shine at Liverpool, or anywhere
Cristiano Ronaldo applauded by Liverpool fans after master-class for Real Madrid, despite Manchester United ties
Angel Di Maria injury latest: Argentina international set to play in Manchester United vs Chelsea match
Paul Scholes column: I'm not worried about Manchester United's defence - Chelsea test can be the making of Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo
Erik Lamela rabona steals the show in five-star Spurs Europa League romp
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
£120 - £125 per day: Randstad Education Luton: The Job:SECONDARY teachers need...
£60 - £70 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Behaviour Support WorkerThe JobTo...
Competitive Salary: Randstad Education Group: Randstad Education is working in...
£60 - £65 per day + plus free travel scheme: Randstad Education Cardiff: The J...