UCI presidential candidate Brian Cookson backs return for women’s tour
Friday 26 July 2013
UCI presidential candidate Brian Cookson has promised to set up a meeting between some of cycling’s top female riders and Tour de France organisers to discuss the return of a women’s version of the race.
Former world time-trial champion Emma Pooley has started a petition with other high-profile female cyclists, which has collected nearly 80,000 signatures, urging women to be allowed to compete in the Tour.
Cookson, who will take on current UCI chief Pat McQuaid in an election in September, also confirmed a women’s version of the Tour of Britain has been given the go-ahead for next year.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts
Poppy Appeal 2014: This is why I won't be wearing a red poppy this year
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...