Eamonn Loughran turns down fight with Pernell Whitaker
Tuesday 19 September 1995
Eamonn Loughran has turned down a unification fight with the World Council welterweight champion, Pernell Whitaker, because a dispute over of the timing of the fight and the purse. Loughran will now have two defences under the new deal struck between Barry Hearn and ITV: his rematch against Angel Beltre, of the Dominican Republic, in Belfast on 7 October, then his mandatory commitment against the official leading contender, Mexico's Jose Lewis Lopez, in December.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Latest in Sport
Comment: David Moyes paying the price of Manchester United's virtual abstinence from top-level transfers since 2006. Can he refire their ambition?
Transfer news: Manchester United will not be forced into panic buys, says David Moyes
Gerard Deulofeu - Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
Match fixing: DJ Campbell one of six men arrested over spot-fixing allegations, confirm Blackburn Rovers
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
£35000 - £55000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: A leading prov...
£400 - £450 per day: Harrington Starr: Technical Architect - .NET Consultant ....
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Capita Education Resou...
£27000 - £31000 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Global travel com...