England cut down by Choppy

England Under-21 1 Australia Under-21 3
Click to follow
David Mathews, with a powerful drag shot into the roof of the net, gave England the lead five minutes into the second half in the second of their two tests against Australia yesterday. But, as the Australians stepped up the pressure in a devastating final 12 minutes, Baedon Choppy scored twice and Guy Bolton once to deny England the spoils.

England, after losing the opening game 6 - 0 on Monday, made four changes in their starting line-up but, as in the first game, were quickly pegged back on to the defensive. Only a series of fine saves from Hounslow's Nick Taylor in goal and several timely tackles from the captain, Brett Garrard, prevented Australia taking the lead.

Indeed, so much did the Australians dominate the play that their goalkeeper was not called into action during the first half. With Mark Pearn introduced into the attack after the interval England came back into the game and won two early penalty corners, with Mathews putting them ahead at the second.

The Australians quickly re-introduced their Olympian, Choppy, and once again forced England on to the defensive.

England's survival was not helped by the temporary suspension of Pearn and the Australian breakthrough came in the 58th minute with Choppy scoring from their 10th penalty corner. Bolton scored seven minutes later with Choppy adding another. The Australians held firm keeping out three England penalty corners in the last two minutes.

ENGLAND UNDER-21: N Taylor (Hounslow), B Garrard (Guildford, capt), J Collins (East Grinstead), R Irvine (Oxford Univ), A Todd (Isca); D Haydon (Teddington), M Johnson (Cannock), A Simons (Southgate), P Wicken (Canterbury), R Ward (Guildford), T Matthews (Oxford Univ). Substitutes used: M Pearn (Reading), A Boyse (East Grinstead), J Ebsworth (Teddington).

Australia Under-21: S Mowlam, M Richards, B Livermore, D Butler, B George, S Webster, A Commens, J Bell (capt), B Choppy, S Brennan, G Bolton. Substitutes used: T Elder, G Davis.

Umpires: P Broughton (Eng) and B Hardie (Aus).